The New Ma'am

A few years ago, it began.
Cashiers, waitresses, strangers began calling me "ma'am". It was jarring. Every time I heard it, I almost did a double take. "Did I hear that right? Are they referring to me?"
Now I know they are referring to me, but it is no less jarring each time I hear it. Years ago, I think this term was meant as a show of respect. I'm not so sure it is these days. Age isn't exactly respected in our society.
It's funny that whenever someone calls me "miss", it instantly brightens my day. I really have to deal with this age sensitivity thing I'm developing.
But now something has begun to happen that is making it even more difficult. A new salutation I've been hearing that is even worse.
Last week, for the second time, someone has referred to me as "Mrs. Reallastname".
The offender was a young receptionist that meant no ill-will. In fact, I think she thought she was being courteous, professional, and respectful. Then over the next couple days, I had to correct her not once, not twice, but three times.
"Susie, you can call me Aileen."
"Susie, please don't call me that- I'm not married."
"Susie, everytime you call me that, I think you are talking about my mother. Her name is Mrs. Reallastname."
So maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but it really, really bothers me. So not only am I at an age where young professionals know for sure that I'm an "elder", I'm also at an age where it is assumed that I simply must be a married woman.
Yuck.

2 Comments:
when i moved to dc nearly 5 years ago, everyone addressed me as ma'am. i hadn't even heard that word in california. it bothered me and then someone explained that it's a southern/respect thing.
now when i hear it, i try not to let it bother me. but i still prefer 'miss'
I seem to get "ma'am" all the time and I look like I'm about 25. Or so people keep telling me. Maybe I don't! I don't let it bother me, though, the ma'am, but I'd rather have miss. I don't think anyone should uses "Mrs." unless they know for sure. I learned that in elementary school. That's why we have "Ms."
Post a Comment
<< Home