Te amo, Barcelona!

I have fallen in love.
Again.
It appears that I have very strong, visceral feelings for European cities. And the European countryside.
I experienced this in Tuscany last year, and now in Spain this year.
We visited Valencia first and briefly.

I loved the combination of old and new architecture.

The flavor of culture. The colors.
The beach reminded me a bit of South Beach.
When we arrived in Barcelona I was overcome with a rush of adrenaline.
It was almost overwhelming.

I've been feeling restless for about the past year. Wanting to move to a new place. Yearning for a new adventure. I've been wanting to be someplace warm, near the water. I'm a city girl and need access to the excitement that a big city has to offer.
I was amazed that Barcelona fits the bill perfectly. It's a big, cosmopolitan city that would rival Manhattan. Close to amazing beaches. Mountains. History. Culture. Architecture. Style. Passion.

I felt the pull. What struck me is that my life is such that I could live there if I chose. That thought just blew me away. I could embark on any adventure anywhere in the world at any time I chose. So Barcelona brought out feelings of intense freedom. Excitement. Endless possibilities.

When we visited Sitges, a resort town just 30 minutes outside Barcelona, I literally experienced butterflies in my stomach. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it was slightly orgasmic.
Sitges is a town with all white buildings, situated on a gorgeous expanse of Meditteranean beach. I spent an afternoon with wonderful friends luxuriating on this perfect beach, on a perfect day, contemplating the beauty I have seen, and all that I have yet to see.

My mind and heart are filled with the thoughts, ideas, experiences and observations I had over the past week. Jet lag has everything jumbled together in my mind- just waiting for clarity and expression. For now, I need to rest, as my ideas start to formulate. Travel is turning out to be so much more for me than a vacation.
Isn't life exquisite?


2 Comments:
I find that traveling to any place in Europe redefines the meaning of the word "old". I have this habit of trying to picture who walked down a street, prayed in a church centuries ago. If only the stones could talk... The pictures make your trip sound absolutely wonderful. It's great to have the means to see places like this, yes?
Yes, it struck me as funny when our guide would refer to certain buildings as "modern", when they would indeed be considered old here in the States.
Post a Comment
<< Home