Commencement

Last weekend I attended my cousin/godson's graduation from Carnegie Mellon. (Interesting side note: I find it ironic that I'm a godmother since I'm no longer a practicing Catholic or a Christian for that matter! I haven't shared that news with my godson yet, since I'm supposed to be his "Christian role model".)
I was incredibly proud of this young man's accomplishments. John is outgoing, funny, good looking, popular, and incredibly hard working and intelligent. He received four degrees: three bachelor degrees and one master's degree. He finished it in five years. The degrees had something to do with computers and biotech. And he already has a top notch job secured with a large financial company in Manhattan. Absolutely amazing.
The feeling at this graduation ceremony was different than those I attended when I was college age. Very different from my own. I remember graduation ceremonies were filled with talk of pride and celebration, endings and beginnings. But there was also a parallel message: you can accomplish what you want- but you'll have to work for it. You'll have to earn it. Pay your dues. But you can do it, and you'll be great!
Now, I'm not sure if it's indicative of the times, or this particular university, but the overall feel was much different. Yes there was pride and celebration. Talk of endings and beginnings. Bill Cosby was the entertaining key note speaker. But the underlying message I heard was: Isn't the world lucky to have you! Wait until they see all the great talent you bring! There was a message of expectation, and dare I say, entitlement.
I have felt for awhile that the younger end of my generation (I'm on the older side of Gen X), and the one behind us, has had some issues with entitlement. But to hear these messages being delivered by well respected elders and mentors made me think: why are we setting these kids up this way? Perhaps it's because it was such an academically competitive school, and chances are most of these graduates will have a pretty easy time of it out there in the real world. I don't know. I just know that lack of effort seems to be growing, and it makes me wonder where we are headed.
OK, enough of that. I know where I am headed. Off to Spain tomorrow! :) Adios!

4 Comments:
Hasta luego. ¡Buen viaje!
I know exactly what you're talking about. The feeling of entitlement seems to increase as you hit the more competitive schools. Some of these kids are in for a rude awakening. Like my son, who graduated from Carlton College and then got a law degree from the U of Arizona...last year. He is still working on passing the bar in California and has yet to land a job there. Granted there are some other complicating factors which I will not disclose, but I think the sense is that the world will provide and although that may be true for some of them, others may just have to get down in the trenches to make it happen.
Vaya con dios (even if you're no longer a believer!)
You've made so many great observations about this sense of entitlement. Yikes. It is too true.
I'm going to think about this more and write about it.
Have a wonderful time in Spain!!
Post a Comment
<< Home