Random Blog Infinite Connections: Too Horrifying to Think About

Monday, April 16, 2007

Too Horrifying to Think About



When I am in New York City, I work out of an office on the 71st floor of the Empire State Building. I was working there on Friday when the receptionist returned from her break, "Someone jumped!" Apparently, when she attempted to go down for coffee, one side of the building was roped off on 33rd St.


Details were scarce. What we heard was that a foot fell to the street. At first, we heard it was a woman. Then the men that work in the lobby at the elevators told us it was a man. And he jumped from the 69th floor.

I have looked out the windows of our office. It's mind blowing. I can barely look down. We have even opened the window at times (the windows are huge- there are no safety railings of any sort, and they are designed to be able to be open all the way.) When we open the windows, the wind is so strong that it sucks out any papers that we have on our desk. I've made that mistake more than once.


Later, we learned more. It was a young man, thirty one years old. A man named Moshe Kanovsky. A lawyer from Brooklyn. He jumped from his law office window. A colleague told police that Moshe had been interviewing a client in one room, simply got up, left the room, went into another room and jumped. His body hit a ledge on the 30th floor and it severed his leg. The leg fell to the street. The foot was still covered with a dark gray sock. Oddly, it wasn't the co-workers or the client that called 911; it was passersby on the street.

I cannot imagine choosing this particular method of death. As I thought about this young man, I tried to imagine what could possibly have led him to this moment. I tried not to think about it, but I couldn't help imagining the fall. It would take far too long. Too much time to think.

The Empire State Building has an aura of nostalgia. The architecture, of course. The history. Now it feels a bit like an homage to the World Trade Center. Sort of like the "runner-up" taking over the duties of the winner. The interior is beautiful, majestic. It's hard to explain, but the building has a personality. It feels powerful. Intimidating. Beautiful, yet dangerous.

The building has a monthly newsletter that is sent to all of the offices. I remember several months ago they did a story about the history of suicides at the building (there have been more than 30). It seemed like a morbid article to me- it almost glorifed the subject. In 1979 a woman jumped off the 86th floor, only to be blown back into the 85th floor, suffering only a broken hip.

The article also said that fourteen people died when a plane crashed into the building. An elevator operator survived a 75 story elevator drop during the fire.


Five men died while the building was being constructed: one worker was struck by a truck; a second fell down an elevator shaft; a third was hit by a hoist; a fourth was in a blast area; and a fifth fell off a scaffold.


The spirit of this building is so strong, that it overshadows the death of one young man. I've been waiting to hear more about him.

When I left work on Friday, my elevator was crowded. People were chatting, typical Friday night chat. The elevator stopped on the 69th floor. A man got on the elevator. He smiled and greeted someone else on the elevator that he knew. They were discussing some meeting they had attended that day and how they were glad it was over.

As I walked outside, the tourist line stretched around the block as usual. The sidewalks were crowded. I turned and looked up at the building, an act that no New York native ever does. I couldn't even see the top of the building from where I stood. I felt a chill, and I felt sad.

9 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger The Cube said...

A few years ago I went camping witha few friends in the back country and we came across this lake, it is lined by cliffs alons 10 stories high, and the lake is very deep, so we decided to dive off the cliff. It was the longest fall of my life, afterward i thought about just what it would be like to be a jumper. It seams sad to me that someone who thought to end his life in this may come to regret his decision on the way down.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

What an awesome post, Aileen! Wow.

I love the ESB - its shape, its size, and all the stories around it. Wow. If I were going to commit suicide (I never will, but if) I think it would be a wonderful way to go. For a few seconds, you'd be flying!

Must have been awful to be right there, though, and hear the stories. Thank you for sharing this with us.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

This is such a good post. It left me with a feeling of helplessness and sympathy for the family and friends of the man who jumped. It's hard for me to fathom the depth of the hopelessness that would result in such a way to end it all. You will probably always remember this incident when the elevator door opens on the 69th floor.

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post Aillen.

I knew the young man personally and it is with a sad heart that i will tell you more about him. He was single, 31 years old and he was an attorney. He comes from a wonderful family and his suicide has truly devastated them. He suffered from a mental illness which is likely the catalyst for his jump. It seems to have been rather spontaneous. I hate that he will ultimately become another statistic for the ESB, He deserves more. However, i'm sure all the other suicides and deaths from the ESB deserve more as well, i guess thats life (no pun intended).

DK

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

cube- that's my thought as well- I can't imagine experiencing that regret.

reya- thank you for the kind words. It felt surreal to be in close proximity to such tragedy.

barbara- yes it is heartbreaking and I don't think I'll forget it

DK- I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been hoping that we could hear a bit more of the human side of Moshe. Truly sad.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Mr T in DC said...

Great post, saw it on DC Blogs. Also have connections in DC and NYC, always loved the ESB, sorry to hear about the suicide.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Aileen.

Whenever I'm in NYC, I try to blend in and not look like a tourist. Not looking up at the Empire State Building is one way I try to do that, but I fail every time. It's just an amazing feat of architecture.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

Mr T- thanks for stopping by and for the nice words. Yes, it is sad.

Arjewtino- absolutely agreed 100%.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful post. To people on the outside world, perhaps Moshe is just another crazy man who jumped. I knew him personally. He was a wonderful person. Even if he did suffer from depression, it doesn't make it okay for people to say mean things. I do wonder what would make him jump though. It doesn't make sense because he would be a person to say that is wrong. He was a god fearing person. I wonder what the people said or did to him before he jumped. So many unanswered questions I have. For those of you who wonder what he was really like, he liked to write and study. He had the most original and creative ideas about everything we discussed. He had a conscience. He believed that people deserved second chances and that one should never stop trying. He believed everything happened for a reason. I feel so awful about what happened with him. I will never forget him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines