Random Blog Infinite Connections: What I Learned from the Kids

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What I Learned from the Kids



As I've mentioned a few times, my brother and his family visited over Memorial Day weekend. That meant I spent quality time with my four nephews and niece, ages 3-9. Allowing my brother and sister-in-law a chance to go out on a "date" gave me the opportunity to take all the kids on my own...

I'm alive to tell my story. (Good sign.)

Here are a few of the things I learned this weekend:

*Spiderman jammies, with web wings on the arms, are the absolute coolest thing in sleepwear.

*Walking the National Mall while holding the hand of a child, is like walking with an extra 20lb weight on your back.

*Always, always, always carry a band-aid in your purse. It's amazing how/when injuries happen.

*Beds are made for trampoline-style jumping.

*3 adults and 4 kids can wreak havoc on a 2 bedroom condo.

*Taking a hike in the woods can lead to a parallel universe or something called The Bridge to Terabithia.

*3 year olds love escalators. They don't care where the escalator leads to.

*The best part of going to the zoo is running under the sprinklers they had.

*Papa Johns has the best pizza my nephew has had in his whole entire life.

*My 3 year old nephew loves "babies". He also loves to tease them- walking up to one at the ice cream store saying "You are so cute, baby! I eat babies!"

*No topic is off-limits for kids. Example: My 7 year old niece asked me, "Aunt Aileen, do you get lonely?"

*Nickelodeon is on channel 91. (who knew?)

*There is absolutely, positively no privacy when the house is filled with kids. Sure, you can close or even lock the bathroom door. However, prepare to have a little one sobbing on the other side
"Aunt Aileen, I wanna come in!"

*When a 5 year old throws a slight tantrum in the middle of the National Zoo, if you do not respond immediately, people give you dirty looks.

*Waking up to kids laughing is the best alarm clock ever.

*I would be a good mom.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 AM, Blogger Ulysses said...

Now if we could all remember to still express some of that (I promise not to ask if you're lonely), wow that'd be cool. You could play the mom first, I wanna be zoo keeper -- gotta run now and see if those sprinklers are still on...

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

This is my favorite observation: "3 year olds love escalators. They don't care where the escalator leads to."

Isn't there some expression about the journey being half the fun?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines