Random Blog Infinite Connections: Success, Sex, Saks, and Sass

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Success, Sex, Saks, and Sass


(Try saying that three times fast!)


After my guys' weekend a couple weeks ago, I was left craving some girl time. I needed some estrogen around me!


Well, yesterday I got more than my fix.


I started the day by attending a very glamorous networking event at 7:30 am, sponsored by a great group, Success in the City. We actually watched the new release of Sex and the City at 8:00 in the morning! I don't think I've ever gone to the movies so early in the morning!


The event was sold out, so the theatre was packed. I think there were maybe two men in the room. So it was primarily an audience of women over the age of 30. There was an electric buzz in the air, as always happens when you have a crowd of women together like that.


As for the movie itself...don't worry, no spoilers here. But it was fantastic! Not as a cinematic piece of art, of course. It was the event of it that was special. I know critics of the series always claimed it was too over the top- too materialistic, too focused on sex, sending out too many negative messages. I say, "Lighten up people!" It's just some silly fun!


One of the things I appreciated about the movie is the fact that the primary characters were women in their forties. Movie execs are concerned the movie may not do well, because an exclusive movie audience of women over 30 may not have enough spending power. I can't wait to hear box office results- we need more movies for us!


The audience was so funny- laughing, gasping and crying together. The fashion was outrageous and simply fun. Most of the audience was as dressed up as the characters in the movie, and designer labels were everywhere.


After the movie we headed over to Saks for a Saks and the City party. There was press coverage everywhere, free cosmos, swag bags, and a fashion show and makeovers in the private salon.


Yeah, I drank cosmos at 11 am on a Friday morning. And chatted. And looked at clothes. Oh- yeah- and did some networking. (Just in case my accountant asks).


So how did I end this estrogen-fest of a day? With a bit more of the same, but on a much more intimate level. I met a really good friend up in Silver Spring to see the movie again (first time for her)! And since it was one of the few theatres that wasn't sold out, I'm taking that as a good sign for box office results.


I'm not one to see movies more than once, but I enjoyed it as much the second time. I got to pay attention to more (fashion) details. And it was more fun to share the movie with a close friend. Ending the evening with food, drinks, and post-movie discussion, was just what I needed.


I think I earned my girl license back.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 2:21 PM, Blogger Ulysses said...

I think the major points in your favor in getting yoru license "back" (I still would debate whether you could lose it) came during the watching a movie a second time to pay attention to the fashion details. I think you meant to say Art Direction, didn't you?

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Ummm...nope.

No Art Direction there.

But fashion? Absolutely!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I've got to see this. Soon.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wow! Twice in one day! I'm psyched to see it too, actually...I may not have a "girl" license, but I have a "gay" license, which works too. :)

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

kristin- sorry to say I can't join you. I think I exceeded my quota! Bring some girlfriends or gay friends and have a blast!

Steve- yeaaa, I've been taking some flak from people about my "twice in one day" experience...And the "gay" license works perfectly!

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger lettuce said...

fabfabfab - you go girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines