Random Blog Infinite Connections: Manera Europea

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Manera Europea

I liked taking pictures of three things in Spain: the landscape, the architecture, and the people.


Unfortunately, I was very unsuccessful at taking good pictures of Europeans. Many times during my trip, I would sit at a cafe or on a park bench and simply watch the people. I loved it.



Their fashion sense just strikes me as being more...something...than American's. Sophisticated? Put together? Even when they are sloppy, they look stylish. Europeans have this casual confidence thing down- it's truly an art for them. A travel mate thought they all looked dirty. I pointed out that it depended what part of Barcelona we were in. In Los Ramblas, they did have a bit of a "grunge" look to their hair, etc. But on the Carrera de Passion (not sure what the exact name was, but it was a combination of Rodeo Drive and 5th Avenue put together) everyone looked like they were just featured in a magazine as a fashion "do".



So as I would sit and do my people watching, I would try to unobtrusively take pictures of intriguing looking people as they passed. My friend thought it was hysterical, and was concerned I'd get "caught". I didn't- but I also didn't get a single good shot.



I was particularly drawn to couples. There were so many couples holding hands as they walked down the street. Do we have that here and I just don't notice? When I say a lot, I mean that a hand holding couple would walk by probably every 10-15 seconds. And they fit together. I mean physically and fashion-wise. Their outfits wouldn't exactly match, but they would be stylishly equal.



I've discovered that aesthetics is very important to me. I am directly affected by what I see. I want to look good, want my home to look good. I enjoy looking good with my partner. My mood elevates when I'm surrounded by beauty- whether it's nature, architecture, art, or people. And the Europeans seem to have mastered style and aesthetics. Perhaps that is why being in Spain felt like such an emotional "fit" for me.

7 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

How perfectly lovely. I'd write more but I think I need to go and search for tickets to Spain.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger globalchameleon said...

Explains very well the Barcelona sense of style -such a visually gorgeous place! (great photos, too - and I have the same luck trying to sneak photos of people)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. Being in Tuscany or Provence, even I seemed to care a lot more about finding just the right top or jewelry to wear before even going out to the market. The Europeans look so at home in designer clothes. Many Americans look like they are pretending to be chic.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Aesthetics are the same thing as feng shui. Shapes, colors and placement have an impact energetically and emotionally, too.

GREAT pics!! What a beautiful place.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Kristin- I highly recommend it! I definitely want to go back.

Globalchameleon- thanks! Yes, it is a very stylish place

Barbara- I just wish I could put my finger on exactly what it is so I could try to adopt some of it!

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Reya- I'm only slightly familiar with feng shui, but based on my experience, it makes sense!

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Lizza said...

My God, I am so totally envious.

If I were to live in another country, I think it would be Spain. A cousin has been living in Barca since the 1980s, and my younger brother recently was in Spain, but in Valencia.

Did I mention how jealous I am? But glad to hear you had a blast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines