Random Blog Infinite Connections: Where a kid can be a kid

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Where a kid can be a kid

I decided against buying toys for the nephews and niece this year. They have everything you can imagine (and then some). They seem to lose interest in a toy less than 5 minutes after receiving it.

So...for Christmas I thought it would be fun to treat them to an afternoon with their aunt instead! I took them to Chuck E. Cheese's first, then topped it off with a visit to Friendly's for some ice cream.

The outing took 5 hours! I'm not complaining (we had a blast), I'm just surprised it took so long. I had three of my six nephews/niece with me. A 3 year old, a 6 year old, and an 8 year old. The toughest part was keeping them all together. Actually- that turned out to be impossible. I just kept strategically placing myself so I could see the three of them at all times. I also figured out that I should only give them 2 tokens at a time...that way I was making it necessary for them to seek me out and come back to me every 10 minutes or so. It was fun seeing them enjoy themselves...playing "skeetball", video games, virtual roller coasters...climbing in the "climbing tunnels"...playing "tv star" on the video screeens. I knew it was time to go when they started playing "tag" all around the perimeter...not exactly an activity that is made for Chuck E. Cheese.

Now- I am exhausted! Taking care of little human beings is a very draining task. But I have to admit, it was wonderful to spend 5 hours devoted 100% to the well being of others. I did not think of myself, my needs, my life, my stresses...for even one brief second.

Turns out my Christmas present to them was an even bigger gift to myself. :)

Happy Holidays everyone!

5 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a fabulous gift for all of you but exhausting. Good thing you'll have a long weekend to recover.

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

Well...the rest of the long weekend is actually packed with various family traditions. It looks like I'll have to recover when I get home next week! :)

(thank God this only comes once a year!)

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger thethinker said...

Happy Holidays.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

One of the real advantages in your situation was you got to give them back after 5 hours. And I'll bet they were pretty wound up after an afternoon at CEC and probably quite a bit of sugar. This is why I want grandchildren. So I can borrow them, spoil them, and then return them. Seems just about perfect to me!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Barbara- you hit the nail on the head! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines