Random Blog Infinite Connections: "TMI, Facebook, TMI!"

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"TMI, Facebook, TMI!"


Occasionally, my non-Facebook-using friends ask "Doesn't it bother you to have that kind of personal information out there for the world to see?"

My answer has always been "no". I don't care, because I have a certain amount of control over what I post.

What bothers me is what I see on Facebook: information I may have been better off not knowing.

A few days ago, I opened up my Facebook page and saw a prominent "News Item" on my home page:

AileensExwithOccasionalBenefits has changed his status from Single to In a Relationship.

What?!

Brief background on AEOB: we dated briefly several years ago and parted amicably. He's very good looking and fun and we have periodic dates that may or may not end platonically. He's also the good male friend that told me he would consider fathering a child with me if I decided I wanted to have a child on my own. Though I did not accept his offer, it was comforting to have it as an option.

I also just saw him a few short weeks ago. We had a good time, we were flirtatious as always. And he never mentioned he was dating someone.

Then, the next day, he links to his girlfriend on his profile page. Then changes his profile pic to a "couple pic" (gag!)

I notice his girlfriend is a woman who has been regularly commenting on his profile for months now...I never really gave it much thought. And the whole "throwing snowballs at each other stuff"...I completely ignored. That kind of FB silliness just doesn't register on my radar.

I sent him a private message saying "I guess we have some catching up to do- I didn't even know you were dating anyone!"

He responded "he he he".

Damn, I was pissed. Truth be told, I'm still pissed. Not completely sure why- am I jealous? Did I want to be with him? I doubt that- if that had been the case, I'm sure I would have done something about it long ago. But now my male buddy is taken. And I thought we were at least good friends, yet he failed to tell me about this development in his life?

Another similar incident took place last week. Prominently in my news feed I see: The Cop has also commented on his photo. Then it displays his comment: "Gee thanks, girlie!"

This also pissed me off. Let me explain...The Cop calls me girlie. I've always liked it. And this comment he displayed on his photo? Was in response to some other chick saying how good he looks in the picture. Yeah, this is supposedly my FWB that doesn't have any other women in his life at the moment. Reality check, Aileen.

Damn you, Facebook, I didn't need this kind of grief!


8 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger rachaelgking said...

In college I used to get drunk and facebook-friend everyone I knew.

Now I get drunk and de-facebook friends. Because frankly, they don't need to know that much about me, if I don't care about them.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I have never understood the need for Facebook and your stories just confirmed that I don't want to!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I think I'd get all wrapped around the axle, the photos and the comments if I used Facebook. It sounds rife with possibility for miscommunication.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I read this post this morning (or was it last night) and didn't have time to comment but I did think about it on and off today. Here is why...

I have a blog that shares my views on quite a few things, my picture is there, I share information, etc. but I have no interest in things like MySpace or Facebook because I don't want to be 'out there' sharing personal information with God knows who. And you are the opposite. You have a blog where you share things about your fabulous self but have no picture and remain Anon. But on Facebook I guess you are yourself, identity revealed.

If I think about it neither one of us makes much sense. I suppose it is just a personal choice? In the past few days I have had friends encourage me to join but maybe I don't want surprises like those you mention. Not sure if it is for me but I really don't know much about it so I should shut up and check it out. But if I do join FB I hope you'll be my friend. You so rock!!

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo.... That poor girl looks really sad with the boy.

 
At 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't care about them.

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you are yourself, identity revealed.

 
At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a modeling picture? How could they give such perfect look in the pic. Interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines