Thank you, Hillary.

I just listened to your concession speech, and it made me cry.
I have been a supporter of you, though not always your biggest fan. We don't agree on all issues, and sometimes the words, methods, and tactics you chose didn't always sit right with me.
But damn girl, I'm completely impressed with your strength.
Thank you for helping chip "18 million cracks in the the glass ceiling". Thank you for not caring what your critics said. Thank you for being heard as a strong, intelligent, female voice. Thank you for showing my seven year old neice that yes, she can be President when she grows up, if she wants to be.
Thank you for withstanding vicious attacks simply because you are a woman that dares to be tough. Your femininity has been attacked, your physical appearance, your age, your role as wife and mother. Attacks I haven't seen aimed at male politicians. I don't care that you've been called "shrewd","ambitious", and a "political machine". Thank you for being extra tough, extra determined, and extra tenacious, because you knew you had to be.
At one point during your speech, the cameras panned to a group of female college students. There was such inspiring hope on their faces, and tears in their eyes. Thank you for that. My favorite line in your speech was when you were speaking to the young people and you said "...Never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on." Thank you for being such a role model for that.
And finally, thank you for throwing your full support to Obama. Thank you for reminding your supporters of "his strength and determination, his grace and his grit". You are right: "we need to help elect Barack Obama our President". Finally, a person of color as a Presidential candidate, and hopefully as our next President.
It's a historical moment and it gives me hope.

5 Comments:
Aileen - good post on HC. I feel ambivalent about her, but she did give it her all.
On a related matter many of us not in the US are amazed, and to a degree dismayed, by how viscious your politics seem. I mean, all this bite and gouge was going on *within* the party. It wasn't even the enemy. I know that's how it's done, but it must be bruising.
And then somehow the voters have to forget all the dirt when the real election comes around.
Thanks for this post, Aileen. I agree completely. The day she conceded, all the energy around the upcoming election shifted. Her speech was very good; Obama's? Superb.
Suddenly I'm interested again in the campaign. Oh yeah!!
Ernest- How vicious "our" politics seem? I find that an interesting choice of words. I am confident that the two camps (Obama/Clinton) will join- the combined energy and passion will be mind-blowing.
Reya- Oh yeah! I haven't listened to Obama's speech yet, looking forward to it! And I think for the first time in my life, I will be volunteering my time for a political campaign.
Bravo! I still admire Hillary so much. She has flaws, but who doesn't? I think she has quite a career ahead of her, and she could be president yet!
I never really thought that I'd see a woman come so far in the presidential race. Not in my lifetime, but the times, they are a-changing. Always.
Post a Comment
<< Home