Random Blog Infinite Connections: One Man's Opinion

Monday, June 09, 2008

One Man's Opinion


Last week I was having a conversation with a guy friend of mine. Our friendship usually centers around talking about his dating life, and I freely give my opinions and advice. I rarely discuss my love life with him, though sometimes I may share vague complaints.

Then a few days later, I received an interesting email from him:

"...If you don't mind my saying so, I think you also could use some advice. You seem to have a pretty clear idea of what your needs are but I get the sense that you don't know how to ask for what you want/need from men. Rather, it seems like you feel the right guy will simply "know what you want" (probably part of that whole "man up" philosophy) and act accordingly.

The problem there is it just doesn't work that way, especially in this era when women and men are supposedly on equal footing. It may be arrogant/presumptious of me to speak for all men, but if there's one thing I know, it's that men (and women, for that matter) aren't telepaths -- so women need to become more skilled at letting men know what they want.

There are plenty of great guys out there who are decent and honorable but may not have a clue about a woman's needs -- probably because the women in their pasts just dumped them feeling that "if he was the right guy, he would have known how to please me", without ever telling the guy what he did wrong and thus denying him the opportunity to learn from the relationship.

In short, sometimes, especially on matters of fundamental importance, you simply need to let the guy know what you want and need from a relationship -- and sooner rather than later so that you don't waste time in a relationship with someone who either can't or won't fulfill your needs. The flipside of course is that it's not enough to know your needs and find a man who can satisfy them -- you must be able to fulfill his needs in return. That's what makes relationships such a challenge -- having all those variables fall into place for a prospective couple is a pretty tall order."

Now, I'd say his assessment of me is only around 30% accurate, but that's not what I'd like to discuss. I want to talk about this issue of "women need to become more skilled at letting men know what they want".

Really?

Is it that much of a mystery?

Are our wants and needs that unique and difficult to figure out?

Seriously.

I know the standard joke is that men's needs are simple: sleep, food, and sex and they're pretty content.

But aren't women's needs just as simple? If you had to simplify them, what would they be?


7 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Blogger Hammer said...

What do women want? Oh that's easy.

Same things men do, only in prettier colors.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Not always, Hammer.

I'm not very interested in the differences between genders, (as you know) but I do believe in clear communication between humans of any gender, in every possible situation including romance.

You don't have to say everything, but I believe it's a responsibility of relationship to say what needs saying.

Of course, I haven't been on a date in years ... but ... if I had been, I would have communicated directly. Really I would have!!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger who's-that said...

I really like what your friend has to say. And I disagree with you that what you or any woman wants is simple. One of the problems is thinking that general needs are sufficient to make one happy. It's the day-to-day, moment-to-moment needs that have to be communicated, and sometimes we're not in touch with what those needs are except to know we ain't gettin' it. So I think your friend makes a rather profound point but one that may not be as easy to address as we'd like. Anyway, that's my take on it.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Hammer- OK, maybe not *that* simple! But thanks for tryin'!

Reya- Therein lies the rub for me! What *needs* saying? How does one express such things without seeming whiny, needy, high maintenance etc? Shouldn't some of the basic needs be generally understood? And then, which ones are basic and which ones are more complex?

who's-that- (love the pic!) Yes, I thought his point was very profound and I was impressed he'd given the topic such consideration. But I'm not sure I agree with you- even those day-to-day, moment-to-moment needs are very likely a simple, basic need at its core, right?

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger bulletholes said...

I like what Dr. Phil says
"If you want Roast Beef say so and shut up"
its not quite in the same context but I think it applies.
i tell my daughter not to just settle for what some guys wants to give her, but to let it be known what she expects from him.
I think it sometimes comes down to just sayn' what cha mean, and meanin' whatcha say.

I have a long time friend that we don't do that (say what we mean) and we are always having a problem...we have learned to work through it, and its a lot of fun sometimes, but thats no way to go.
Starting over, I'd have to say...well...i'd better not say that...


Aw thats not fair...what i mean is that if we tried to build a friendship on what we have put each other thru the last 30 years we would never have been friends at all.

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Ulysses said...

I'm not going to guess yours until you get mine right. (I know, it's a funny joke, but I need to be a bit self-righteous to make the rest of my point, which is...)
You know what? Even then I'm not going to guess yours, because what everybody wants is someone who's interested enough in you to pay attention to what lights you up.
Don't give me a list, give me an attitude.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger grumpy old woman said...

As a woman, I'd say my needs from a man are:
warmth, cuddles (without it having to lead straight on to sex every time), being listened to and responded to, making eye contact, having my opinions respected and taken seriously and not to have assumptions made about what I should/should not do - just because I'm a woman.
Oh, and to laugh at my jokes.... but only when they're funny - of course.
(BTW - my name is Aileen too. I don't come across many other people with our name.)
~(:o})=

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines