A Messy Metaphor

I'm standing on a street corner in Manhattan. I have to catch a train that leaves in 45 minutes. If I miss this train, I have to wait hours for the next one, and possibly pay additional money for the ticket.
I have an oversized suitcase, my laptop bag, and a large purse. My suitcase is so full that it tips over if I let go of it. So I can't let go of it.
It happens to be pouring rain out, so I also have an umbrella. A flimsy one. That keeps getting blown in and out.
Have you ever tried to hail a cab in New York in the rain?
Have you ever tried to do it while holding an umbrella and three bags?
Cab after cab whizzes by me. Either their "off duty" light is on, or they have a passenger already. Pedestrians that aren't weighed down with so much "stuff" easily maneuver about so they can run up to the next cab that pulls over to let out their passenger.
I start to feel defeated. If I don't see a cab with their "available" light on in the next few minutes, it's all over for me. I'm in for a horrible evening. I just want to be home.
My negative thoughts and feelings keep coming. "I hate this city." "I hate that bus driver that just pulled a bus over where I can't see the cabs anymore." "I hate that woman who is sprinting down the block to take that cab."
I take a deep breath and try to push the negativity aside. I blink back the tears.
Finally, a cab pulls up to me. "Penn Station" I say. He says "I was hoping you wouldn't say that." Ugh! Nothing like a cab ride with a driver that doesn't want to be there.
I get to the station with minutes to spare. But at least I got to the station. On time!
Yea! Nirvana! I made it! This is what I've been waiting for and trying for! Whew!!!
****
On board the train, I'm disappointed. It's overcrowded. It's uncomfortable. I get a terrible seat where I'm facing someone else sharing leg room.
I begin to laugh. This is a metaphor for sure! As I begin to see the humor, I sit back, relax, and fall asleep.
And I make it home in time for Grey's Anatomy. Life is good.

8 Comments:
Long-distance commuting adds a whole new level of stress to work. I would probably have needed a couple of glasses of really good wine before I was able to call life good after an experience like yours.
I'm glad you made it home as planned, even though it was not an easy or comfortable trip.
Looking forward to the Blogger women's tea tomorrow. I may be a few minutes late, but just save me a seat!
Travelling sucks, especially if you have to do it all the time. What a great post!!
And greater still was getting to meet you today. Thank you so much for hosting the tea!
Thanks Barbara and Reya. Barbara- it was great seeing you again! And Reya- wonderful to meet you!
Most of the time I'm enjoying the travel- this was just one of those rougher days...
However, this post was actually a metaphor. It reminded me of my search for my life partner! Maybe the story sounds different when you actually know that :)
Let's hope your search for a life partner has an equally happy ending! Every time I meet you I recognize a quality of inner strength in you that puts a positive spin on whatever life hands you, whether it be missed cabs or failed relationships. I am confident you will find what you are looking for.
Meanwhile thanks for organizing us for tea. It was great to see you again!
Barbara's comment made me think, what is a "failed relationship"? We use these phrases rather thoughtlessly, no offense, Barbara. It just made me think. Of course I've had lousy relationships but most have actually been with female "friends" who turned out to be not so friendly. And I have certainly had relationships, friend and otherwise, that have ended. But just because a relationship (romantic, yes?) ends, does that mean we have to assume it has failed?
Listen, Aileen, you mention this post is a metaphor. So while my comment goes a little off the topic, maybe because the post is a metaphor, my comment is actually on topic? You tell me.
Aileen -- Can you e-mail me at zakd@washpost.com? I'm working on a story about What to Do If No One Reads Your Blog and would like to talk to you about the upcoming tea party. Thanks.
Barbara and el: Actually you are both right! Yes, el's mom, you are right on topic. And yes, a relationship could be a success and still have an end, I would think.
On the other hand, if the relationship ultimately "failed" to give me what I truly need, then in that regard it could be considered a failure. But even a failure can be valuable.
I have had many valuable (even treasured) failures (relationships and otherwise) in my life!! :)
You know I actually thought about that phrase as I wrote it, specifically because you have always been so careful to find good things in relationships that ended for one reason or another. And most of us can find something worthwhile in every significant relationship. I think it was a poor choice of words.
Post a Comment
<< Home