Do you want to be a mother someday?

I've asked myself this question a number of times over the years. Usually, my answer was "yes". But whenever I asked myself if I want to be a mother now, the answer was "no". I apparently have never desired motherhood enough to do it on my own. So in some ways I concluded I don't really want it badly enough.
Over the past year, I've made great strides in accepting my life choices and enjoying my life as it is. This is the longest period of time that I can recall being able to say "I am truly happy. I love my life, and I love who I am." It's a pretty cool place to be.
But then, occasionally, I find myself thrust into a situation that simply knocks me on my ass. Today was one of those days.
I had to go get a pelvic sonogram. It was prescribed by my gyn for reasons I won't go into. But suffice it to say it was not to check on the health of my baby as I am clearly not pregnant.
I arrive at the doctor's office and take my seat in the waiting room. I am surrounded by glowing, blissful couples. The women are lovingly caressing their pregnant bellies, their husbands holding their hands. The nurses call the expecting moms into the office one by one saying "I'll come back out to get your husband". One husband sits to my right looking at sonogram pictures and lovingly chuckling to himself.
Pain strikes me in my chest. I continue to sip on my huge iced tea, as I was instructed to fill my bladder for best results (pregnant women do not need to do this.) I take deep breaths and try to calm my thoughts. I can't distract myself with the pile of magazines on the table next to me; only parenting and pregnancy magazines are available.
Finally, I get called into the office. It's the typical cold, sterile feeling of changing into an awful cloth gown and having to wait for what seems like forever in an overly air conditioned room.
Those of you that have had a sonogram when you were pregnant remember the excitement- seeing the heart beating, being shown the area that indicates whether your baby is a boy or a girl. Those of us that haven't had that experience have often seen what it's like. It's a common scene in movies and tv shows- the reluctant mother that falls in love with her unborn child the moment she sees it on the monitor. I've had friends that have proudly shown me their baby's sonogram pictures, pointing out the body parts.
While I was there on the table, with the doctor performing the procedure, he directed me to look at the tv screen. I'm not sure you can imagine what it's like to be a part of this somehow familiar scenario, glancing at the tv screen, and looking at your completely...empty...uterus. It was like getting stabbed in the heart with a huge knife and having it twisted back and forth. I kept trying to squeeze my eyes shut, but the doctor kept pointing things out to me.
I had to push the pain away because I didn't want to cry right there in the doctor's office. Push it aside, don't think about it. Don't feel sorry for yourself. I began to get angry- at myself, at every man I've ever loved. How did this happen?
So why am I writing about something so intensely personal? Well, for one, it feels good to write about it. And I'm kind of hoping there is a twenty-something or thirty-something woman out there reading this that connects with what I'm saying. If you were to ask me ten or fifteen years ago if I thought there was a chance that I'd be without a family at forty, I would have said "no way". I never thought it would happen to me. I felt sorry for the women in that situation, assuming they had somehow messed up and caused their "problem".
I think it's important to know that you really don't have forever to make this decision. In recent years, it's become popular to talk about how older women are becoming mothers. I believe it's exaggerated. They don't mention that most of these women don't (can't) use their own eggs. Or they don't carry the baby themselves. So the chances of having a child that is biologically yours becomes slimmer and slimmer.
Young women talk about having their eggs frozen. A few years ago, when I mentioned this option to my gyn, she became agitated. "I hate how they have fooled women into thinking that's a viable option!" She stressed that it's a very expensive option, and they still have not mastered the act of thawing the eggs effectively. In fact, the chance of getting pregnant with a once-frozen egg is slim. She told me the cost-benefit-risk factor does not make it as great an idea as it sounds.
Of course I don't want women to be a slave to the biological clock. But I do want them to make their decisions with their eyes wide open. Knowing all of the facts. And the potential consequences.
Sometimes the consequences slap me right in the face.

14 Comments:
I think about it. I've thought about it a lot. I really don't know. I used to say, definitively, "No." Now? I don't know. I think it's more that I see the opportunity slipping than actually wanting kids, but I don't know.
Exellent point, Kristen- sometimes it's concern over having that door closed, and having the decision "made" for us.
The first time I became pregnant at around age 30 I was definitely not ready to have a child. I had been coerced into it, partially by my mother-in-law who kept reminding me about all he horrible things that could happen to the baby if I delayed. As sad as I was, I felt something like relief when I miscarried that baby. It just wasn't meant to be.
I really wanted to be pregnant the next time and lived in fear through a threatened miscarriage. That would be my lawyer son who is still finding his way in the world in SF.
The second time, which was not nearly so traumatic, produced my daughter who is practical and well-adjusted and also unemployed in SF right now.
For about 5 seconds I toyed with going for #3, but realized the cost and work of raising two children was quite enough.
I would probably feel cheated if I had been robbed of the experience of giving birth and raising these children. But my life would be greatly simplified and I would be infinitely better off financially if they had never come into my life.
I totally understand your dilemma. I hope you can either find contentment in mothering other people's children or figure out how to have your own before that insipid biological clock runs out. There are so many things about being a woman that are a blessing and a curse. The clock is definitely a curse!
Motherhood is such a primary experience. I do believe in many ways that we're wired to really want children, even though the truth is that there are enough humans on the planet, so additional babies are not needed to keep the species going, and more important, not everyone is suited to motherhood.
Until my generation (you know I'm a baby boomer), women had no choice. To live a life without having children was unthinkable, a "waste." women who couldn't get pregnant were called "barren." Women who had difficulty once they became mothers were called "hysterical."
I chose not to have children, because I could and because when I came of age, it was the first time in history that my choice was OK culturally. I have never regretted it for one moment.
I'm sorry you had to go through such an awful experience. It's a shame doctors don't think about the impact of bringing women who are having health screening sonagrams into a room of pregnant women. That's so cold.
Hoping the results of your sonogram were good ones, and that you're taking very good care of yourself. Much love and warmth headed in your direction!
I'm so sorry. I hope publishing this post helped a little. I love you.
When I was a young teen, I couldn't imagine bringing another human being into this world to endure the emotional and physical pains that it can inflict. I had decided early that I did not want to be a mother. Of course, times change, people change and decisions change.
Later, in my late 20's I considered having a child on my own and after seeing how difficult it was for friends who had a partner, I'm glad that I got past that stage. I was no where near financially prepared to go at it alone.
In my 30's, I had a couple of relationships that felt complete without considering marriage or children. I was more financially stable and loved being able to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. Of course, as women the biological clock is very real and always looming overhead.
At 39, I married a great guy who was okay with having/not having a child. The decision was mine to make and he supported me fully in whatever I wanted to do. I'd like to say that I was finally ready for a baby and got pregnant full-heartedly but I didn't. I just knew that there was a part of me that wanted this and that part was going to lose this opportunity if I waited any longer.
I am 41 and due to deliver next week. Although that I get sad at times that I will probably only get one chance at having my own biological child, I am glad that I waited to find the right someone to be in life and know that this decision was not made on a whim. I'm excited and scared about what is to come but the fact that I wasn't forced, cooerced or pressured into making it (clock aside) it makes it worth the experience.
I fully support women who choose not to have a child for their own reasons as I do the those that want them. I think both sides have stories that would benefit from the other as long as judgement is left out.
As for the doctor's office, the grass is always greener on the other side and in the sun. Don't forget that these women also have their share of emotional ups and downs that they will have to face in becoming a mother. What you are seeing is only one "scene" out of their lives... no matter how picture perfect it may appear, no one's life is perfect.
Live your life for yourself and rememember that hindsight can be hard on all of us... learn to move past it.
I just came across your blog post. I guess you could say i am staring at my parallall universe right now.. I am 30, preganant, and not sure what i am going to do about that. I never wanted kids. I finally got the horse of my dreams and was all set to start seroiusly campaining him in eventing next year. I am terrified and depressed. Everything that makes me happy and that i wanted out of life has nothing to do with having kids. I am afraid I will resent it and that it will ruin my life. But then i am afraid that what if this is my chance to have kids. What if this will be the best thing to ever happen to me. My boyfriend who i live with has a kid from a previously failed relationship. His situaion with his ex is a train wreck. He does not really want me to have it. I believe he is afraid it will end the same way. I am a very different person than she is, but i see his point. I have told only a few people about this. not even my mother.. who i tell everything. it is the worst think i have ever gone through in my life. I know so many people who would support me, but the bottom line is i really do not want to be anyones mother. I do not think i will go through with it. What will my hindsight tell me in this case??
I also just stumbled across your blog, and I thank you for posting it. It is a personal issue but one that we all as women grapple with in some way or another, you sharing your story gives something to us all. That being said, I'm 30, happily married, and not pregnant. I'm not sure if I want to have children at all, but I'm afraid of regretting it if I don't... it's so unfair that we only have a small window of time to get our lives and careers in order and it's the same time we have to choose whether to have a child or not. I love the way our life is now and I don't have the desire to be pregnant or have children... but I worry, what if later I regret that? What if having a family is a wonderful beautiful experience that I'm just being too selfish to embrace? Maybe we will have kids, maybe we won't, we're both open to either possibility...it's such a hard choice when you're not like all the other girls who desperately want babies.
I am a 34-yr old woman, who can, of course, hear the ticking of the biological clock. Everyone around me, including my husband, would be thrilled for me to have a baby. I won't be.
I have never liked or wanted children, my attitude has always been to pet others' babies, like you pet others' pets.
I am very caring towards my parents and in laws, and every one is convinced I'd make a fantastic mother. Only I don't like the idea.
I'd love to have a child and get done with and please everyone or something like that, but a child wont really go away, so it is not like taking a vacation you don't like just to please your friends.
I hate being like this, but I see no way out.
I hope it all works out well, but in the meanwhile, I'm scared for my (so far blissful) marriage.
Glad to read that I am not alone. I'm soon 28 and in the beginning of a 3 year PhD. I feel like I need to figure out now (or at least start seriously contemplating) whether or not I will want to have a child in my 30's, but I don't want to finish my academic career just to delay my professiona career. I had a few years out of my field between MSc and PhD and was unhappy and felt left behind. I'm not terribly content in my partnership, either, and as I have no plans for marriage, I don't even know how likely it could be to adopt. I thoroughly enjoy being an aunt, and visiting my friends who have children, but I am always to glad to be going home childless at the end of the day. Oddly enough, the time in my life when I felt most prepared for and accepting of motherhood was in my early 20's, working at a preschool/daycare during college. I think that a lack of exposure to children has made me anxious of my own capabilities, but also aware of my personal freedom. I also feel that I would prefer to adopt than create another life, but there is that self-fulfilling/biological drive to see how your genes would be expressed. It would be ideal if there were more opportunities for communal living, where I can serve as mother figure to children, and can experience many of the joys and headaches of parenthood, but still retain the possibility to have my much appreciated alone time for personal reflection and growth.
I'd just like to say thank you. I am 29 and just don't know what I want. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone and it's not 'wrong' to be unsure about wanting to be a parent. I hear that clock, and yet I wonder if the clock is instinctual or a conscious pressure exerted from society.
All I know is that right now, my instincts say no.
I am thankful for this conversation… so much of what is said holds true for me. I feel conflicted, confused and torn. I’ve become mildly obsessed with the question of whether I want to give birth to a child. I am 29… and somehow… it all started feeling like I needed to know now. I am in a relationship with a man who has 2 small children. It’s a relationship blessed with communication and it feels like we’ve fallen in love with each other over and over again. Each time renewing and increasing our connection (enough of the cheesy love story). The challenge is… he doesn’t want more children. I want to be a mother. My gut feeling is that I’d like to give birth to my own child, but sometimes I wonder… why isn’t playing a mothering role in his children’s lives enough? … why do I have the urge to biologically produce my own? Is it real—or is just the pressure from society? Recently I was sharing my intra-personal struggles with my mother… and she said to me that it was okay if I did not have my own children… and a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I had no idea I’d been carry such a heavy load.
HI Aileen,
Another voice of thanks for your musings. I am 39 have finally (after many poor choices) ended up with a partner with whom I would love to have a family. We're in a situation that without fertility assistance, we can't have a child and for the first time in my life, the knife that you felt while looking at the tv screen, is twisting in me - because we can't afford the treatments. Did i ever think that I'd be without a family (read: more than just us two and the dogs) at forty, either? Not on your life - and it's heartbreaking.
I'm just starting down the path it sounds like you've travelled in terms of accepting my life choices. It's neither a straight nor easy path, but it's something that I wish you (and everyone else that is similarly situated) love and patience.
Hi, Reading the blogs other women have left has been very interesting.
I have been struggling with the issue of motherhood. I've just turned 35, and when I was younger was totally against the idea of motherhood. I figured that was it.
Now that I've actually met and fallen in love with a fabulous man, my perspective has been challenged considerably.
I know that my partner would love to have a family, he had a very positive upbringing, compared to my isolated over controlled version. I went to counselling about the issue of what I really wanted, and to
help me cope with all the gut wrenching fear that arose when I even thought about pregnancy. My mother didn't help it unsuprisingly turns out, when she would constantly remind me of how she nearly died in labour, and all the misery she went through for me...no guilt trip then!
Anyways, I have found counselling really invaluable to help me see things alot more rationally, and to figure out what I want.
I know my boyfriend would be a fantastic dad, and he is really supportive with the cooking, I know hecwould be hands on and responsible. As a consequence of feeling more confident in my own potential after counselling we decided to 'try' whilst we where on holiday. It was a really magical time, and I had no doubhts that I wanted to be with my boyfriend, and for us to see if we could have a little family.
However on return home, even though it's still too early to take a test, there is a part of me that says: Rach what are you doing? Am I doing this more for my partner than for me? Will I cope with leaving my carefree time behind? And interestingly, I also feel that my attempt at getting pregnant has been both liberating and terrifying in equal measure, mowing my mother has already told me about a 34 year old who died in labour, blah blah, I don't want to be a grandmother.
But I also know, that I feel the strongest I have ever felt, and even though I am not a mother earth type I know I have alot of love to give. I feel 100% committed to my partner, and feel if it isn't now It may not happen.
I think the fact that motherhood has been banded around as something you can still do when your in your 40's (I mean get pregnant) I have come to realise that's rubbish. I don't want to raise the stakes for miscarrage, disability, still birth, or infertility by waiting. so I am taking a slightly fatalistic approach. If it's meant to happen it will. But that said it doesn't make making these life changing decisions easy..hope I don't sound too random.
Just wanted to say I feel conflicted at times, but thankfully I also feel very excited too.
Post a Comment
<< Home