Random Blog Infinite Connections: Spinster

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Spinster



The other day I met someone that thought I was 9 years younger than I actually am. I'm not sure if they were being generous or sincere, but it felt good anyway. Nope, I'm not a thirty-something anymore. I am firmly embracing my forty-hood. And nope, I haven't been married. And yup, I've had the opportunity, thank you very much. AND- I still plan to get married at some point in the future.

**Gasp!**

But how can that be? Don't you have a better chance of getting attacked by terrorists? Or at least hit by a bus? Haven't you looked at the census numbers? What are the odds? Didn't you know that you are now firmly placed in the category called "Spinster?"


I don't feel old. I don't look old. In fact, when my mom came to visit last week, I took a good, long look at her. She's 62 and I swear she could pass for 50. A good, attractive, 50. In looks and actions. My grandmother turns 86 next week, and doesn't look at day over 70. Again- not just how she looks, but how she lives her life. So hopefully, I have some tough genes and DNA working in my favor as far as remaining youthful.

Back to the subject- Spinster. What an ugly sounding word. Conjures up images of witches- not the good kind. Doesn't seem to fit me, or any of the woman I know that are in my same demographic.

What do they call single men? Bachelors. Do they get a new label when they reach a certain age? No.

I guess I could claim "bachelorette", but I'm too much of a woman to be an "ette" anything...

I looked up "single woman" and "spinster" in the thesaurus (a current 2007 thesaurus), trying to find a more accurate sounding description. This is actually what I found:

old maid, older unmarried woman, bachelor girl, fuddy-duddy, goody-goody, lone woman, maiden, prig, prude, single woman, spinster, unmarried woman,bachelor, batch, celibate, chaste, cherry, eligible, fancy-free, footloose, husbandless, maiden, single, sole, spinster, spouseless, unattached, uncoupled, unhitched, unwed, unwedded, virgin, virginal, widowed,


YIKES!

So the best I could come up with based on the words I could find?

"Eligible Maiden"

Any other suggestions?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Wow, the synonyms are horrible. I'm going to have to think on this.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

How about just "single." That's the term I use. I love being single - it suits me. I have the WORST taste in romantic partners EVER!! Spinster?? NEVER!!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger who's-that said...

I like footloose and fancy-free. Is that weird?

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Flirting Forties"?

40 is the new 20, girl, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just find a local "Spinsters" social group. Lol!

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

Adjectives like single, discerning, and available are so much kinder. I think being a spinster is more a state of mind. You are definitely not there, as far as I can tell!

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Ulysses said...

You should try "Still Available" in some splashy font.

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How 'bout "Energizer Bunny"?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger jen said...

some of those adjectives are great! i like "cherry" the best. ("footloose" is good too, but i think i'm biased because of my love for the movie of the same name.)

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

Some great ideas!!!

Yeah...I like footloose and fancy free! Also like "Still Available".

Josh, if 40 is the new 20, doesn't that make you, like 7? :)

And "energizer bunny" probably isn't a good idea as an adjective for a single woman;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines