Random Blog Infinite Connections: Missed Connections

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Missed Connections



This week, I've had some disjointed thoughts about how difficult it is for people to connect. On a meaningful level. I'm not sure if my perception is accurate, but it feels like it gets harder as we get older- instead of easier.

I'm not talking about meeting people. We often get better at that as we get older. Those that are introverted when they are young sometimes become more extroverted as they get older. Those that are extroverted in their youth, may become more balanced.

I'm referring to developing meaningful relationships. Either as friendships or romantically. A girlfriend and I were just discussing how hard it is to "get people together"...No one wants to commit to anything- everyone has so many other things going on in their lives. Friendships are rarely the priority. Which is OK, I guess-except for those of us that do place a priority on friendship. In the past year, I've met hundreds of new people. Dozens that became good acquaintances. A handful that I felt I could have a true connection with. Yet- establishing that connection and maintaining it is difficult. I don't mean it's difficult emotionally, I mean it's difficult logistically.

On the dating scene, it's confusing because there are so many "agendas" out there. And of course, most people are not forthcoming about their agenda. Some are though- I've been surprised at the number of married men online that are quite clear they are looking for a fling. Not sure why they contact me, though- I make it quite clear what I am looking for. What bothers me most are the ones that pretend. They pretend they are looking for something substantial, when in reality they aren't in that place at all. Or those that hide the fact that they are in a relationship or married. I just don't get that.

My final confusing, disjointed thought on this subject- when I come across someone who is clear and open about their agenda, it can feel weird. I met a man recently that was extremely open with me- what he's looking for and why, his approach in a relationship, his impressions and feelings about me, what he struggles with in relationship etc. And warning bells went off in my head. It felt odd. Not right. And I told him so. Actually, I told him I thought he was "odd". I have no idea why I said it. I didn't mean it as an insult or a compliment- just a statement of my opinion. I think all that "open sharing" rubbed off on me, and before I knew it I said what I thought. It came out sounding like an insult. He was slightly bothered by the statement, but more curious than anything. He wanted to know why I thought that. And I told him.

I figured I would never hear from this man again. But in typical fashion, I was wrong. He called the next day. I'm done trying to figure these things out.

5 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I enjoyed this post. I don't really have anything insightful to add, except that I agree that it seems to become harder and harder to develop meaningful relationships.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

On the drive home today, I was thinking along the same lines; though, not as articulately as you've phrased it here. I definitely think it's getting harder, the older I get, and I worry more about my new relationships, platonic or otherwise.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

Those that are introverted when they are young sometimes become more extroverted as they get older. Those that are extroverted in their youth, may become more balanced.

I disagree. I was a very extroverted child who over time became more introverted. It can happen.

But I do agree that it's hard to make deep, meaningful relationships happen. Either people are too scared to reach out to others or too self-absorbed to care.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

MG! Thanks, I'm glad you liked it...and I'm determined to overcome this particular obstacle!

Kristin- maybe we worry more, because they become more precious. We know how rare an honest to goodness deep connection is.

Golden Silence- Actually I meant what you said, though I didn't explain it right. I know many that were more extroverted in youth..And your points are fear and self-absorption sound spot-on.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Belle said...

You know, I used to be so honest and straightforward with guys about things that I literally scared them off. And, in the same vein, when someone's too much of those things with me, it feels... strange. It's as if we're so inundated with this game-playing BS that we literally cannot operate outside those parameters in the dating world, even if we try. I've learned to temper my honesty with the plain old tactic of keeping my mouth shut about certain things until the person I'm with has a chance to get used to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines