Random Blog Infinite Connections: Weight a minute

Friday, February 23, 2007

Weight a minute

I'm torn on this subject. I definitely applaud the marketers at Dove for their recent campaigns. I admire the fact that they are trying to help us to see beauty as it is, and not just promote an unrealistic ideal. It was good to see real-life women posing for their pictures feeling confident and looking attractive. I love their new "pro-age" campaign, though I'm not sure why the commercials can't be shown here in the US. (The campaign consists of women over 50 in nude photos- tastefully done, and covering any private parts...you can see them on Dove's website.)

I believe that beauty comes in various shapes, forms, ages, etc. And I think it's wonderful to celebrate it in all its glory.

However...

Here's where I may have a bit of an unpopular view amongst women...

I'm worried about sending too many messages that it's OK to be whatever size you are. I'm worried about creating comfort among us to hang on to that extra 20, 30, 50 pounds that we really should be working on getting rid of. The expanding size of the society around me is scary. Actually, sometimes it evokes feelings stronger than fear. There is a tinge of disgust. And embarrassment. It sometimes feels like greed. Or gluttony.

Slim-fast has an ad where people are dancing around, apparently feeling great about their weight loss. Now, they haven't used skinny little actresses to do this...they haven't even used thin models to do it. The people in the ads are bigger than that- perhaps they've lost some weight and perhaps they have a ways to go. I'm not sure. All I know is that some of the women are probably my size, and the only thought I have while they are dancing on my tv screen is "she looks big.." and then that leads to "do I look that big?"

So while segments of the media work on making us feel okay about our expanding size...it simply has served as a reminder to me that I'm not completely buying it. Which is a good thing, I guess- it does seem to help with my current weight loss efforts!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Your post makes me think but I feel that I have to say that size and health are not the same thing.

I used to be tiny; I also had an eating disorder. At my largest (size 16/18), my doctor said there was no medical reason for me to lose weight. I was healthy.

None of these women are morbidly obese. Some have bigger chests. Larger thighs. But they're not necessarily unhealthy.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, and I totally realize that your post was more about the statements in general and your own experience. I just needed to step on my soapbox for a minute. Sorry about that. I'm down now.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm more attracted to bigger women. Women like those in the above picture.

I think there must be balance.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I think it's a good idea to use non-model figures in ads so that we aren't continually bombarded with the idea that size 2 is the right size. But queen size is perhaps a move in the wrong direction, basically as you say justifying extra pounds unnecessarily. Maybe it would have the effect of reducing the epidemic of anorexia and bulimia in our young people though.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Kristin, Josh, Barbara...I agree- I think it's about balance. I think it's about what is truly healthy for the individual. Actually...I believe that healthy=beautiful in most cases! :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I think it's ok to be whatever size you are, no matter what size that is. Feeling defective because you're too big or too small is a very awful place to begin a contemplation of health or balance. Women in our culture are always raking themselves over the coals about their deficiencies. Why isn't it OK to be fat, if that's what you are? Why not??

As for the recent move to prevent skinny models from walking the runways, I'm against it. Now that models are wearing size 0 (five years ago they were wearing size 4) they're so emaciated that they no longer even look like women to me - they look like art forms on which clothing is hung for fashion shows. Let the models get so skinny that the rest of us can relax because we won't even WANT to look like them.

That said I should add I'm not fat. I'm just about the same size I've been since high school, somewhere around size 12. I'm in good shape and my body is proportional. I am the picture of health even though I'm eleven sizes bigger than runway models. Go figure.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Also wanted to say that if women devoted the energy they put into weight loss elsewhere, into a social cause, for instance, we would be making a huge impact on the world. All our worries about what the scales say disempower us from looking outside of our own lives and making a difference in the world.

Clearly I have strong feelings about this.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Reya,

I love the passion! You make many great points- I especially agree that it would be great to channel the energy into some more worthwhile pursuits.

I think there is nothing wrong with being too big or too small IF you are truly happy and truly healthy at that size. But I think in many cases, it turns out that it is potentially unhealthy, and it can be a symptom of other areas of true unhappiness.

And for me, personally, I'm just not truly happy (or as healthy as I could be) at the size I am. I'm not considered fat or thin- but I'd like to be smaller, fitter, stronger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines