Random Blog Infinite Connections: Funny. Odd. Interesting.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Funny. Odd. Interesting.


How else would I describe a weekend with the parents? :)

Overall, I would say their visit was a success. We had a good time. And my hot buttons did not get pushed. Even moments that would usually cause me angst, did not have a negative effect. Yeaa!


Random moments from the weekend:


* My mother claiming that people only get attached to pets because they don't have children.
(I found this extremely humorous as I tried to show her the fault in her logic...the more committed she stayed to her original statement, the funnier it seemed.)


*How thrilled my Dad was when I managed to find a local bar that was playing his favorite college team's game. We spent the afternoon together, AND he didn't have to miss his game!


*Both parents telling me that what I'm doing with my business is "amazing". Both saying emphatically (and with pride) that they could never do what I do.


*Here's a good one: "The only reason someone should get married is if they want to have children." (guess who owns this quote?:) So when I countered: "If children are out of the question for me, does that mean I should never get married?". "Well, it's different for women- they need to have a mate." "Why?" "Because they need someone to take care of them." Normally, I would have had anger and frustration brewing beneath the surface. This time- it just struck me as unbelievably hilarious. My response? "Well, mom, maybe you feel that way because you have never lived on your own." She agreed that could be the reason.


*Running into an old boyfriend while at lunch. Actually- he ran. Pretty much as soon as he saw us walk into the restaurant. Why? Because it was probably the ugliest break-up I've had. He was a real slime ball and I'm sure he had no interest in facing my parents (whom he had met before). But the biggest reason he ran- most likely because he was embarrassed that he was working as a waiter at this particular restaurant. The scene was entertaining- in order to get to his station without walking by our table, he literally had to walk all the way around the restaurant.


*My dad spending every free moment doing "projects" around my house. He fixed my toilet, changed light bulbs, cleaned chandeliers. It really was sweet to watch. I knew it was his way to show love.


*While my mom was fixing her hair getting ready to go out, she apparently had an epiphany. "Aileen, I figured out what is wrong with you and me... I am always seeking your approval, and you are always seeking mine. And maybe you need to hear that I love you as you are and I'm very proud of you. You should hear how I brag about you to all of my friends."



OK...so a simple weekend with the parents may seem like no big deal to you. But to me- it was actually a great accomplishment! :)

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

These people sound like carbon copies of my parents, who behaved much the same way when they came to visit. My father always spent his time fixing everything that was broken and my mother made a list of all the things they fixed and cleaned. My mother lived vicariously through my achievements all my life and half of hers. She never had the self-confidence to even think for a moment that she could have made it on her own. I was an only child. I was all they had. Really put the pressure on me to make them proud and not screw up! Glad your weekend was so successful.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I love that last one, that your mom told you that she loves you and brags about you. Even if you already knew it, it's not a bad thing to hear.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Does your mom really believe this stuff? Wow.

A sense of humor will save the world!

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Yeah, that last one is the kicker. Yay for good visits with mom and dad, and for knowing that they still brag about you! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines