Random Blog Infinite Connections: A Year of Transition

Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Year of Transition

Drama...intrigue...career changes...heartache...adventure...love

Amazing year. I was thinking that nothing of substance happened to me this year- then I sat down to write this post. Boy, was I wrong! For my own good, I wanted to honor all of the significant moments of 2006.

Overview:

Left my lucrative job of seven years. That's right- I quit my job without having another job lined up. I discovered that money wasn't enough to make me happy, and once I decided that I couldn't be happy at that job- there were no second thoughts.

Attended a powerful weekend with a group called "Women Within". It's incredibly hard to describe, but I guess the best way is to say that it helped me to get in touch with who I am and what I want out of life.

Started an activity group for women over 35 in the DC area. There are almost 200 members, about 1/4 of which are active. Although the group is quiet at the moment, we've had a lot of fun this year. And I've made some really good friends from this group: J, M, D, B, L, to name a few.

Went to Italy. My first trip out of the country! Yes- I was long overdue. I went to Florence, Pisa, Venice, and several small towns in Tuscany. Absolutely beautiful. And it whet my appetite for international travel.

Joined a national organization for women business owners. I have met so many inspiring and amazing women. My vision for my professional future has begun to take shape as a result of this group.

Launched my own business. Attended seminars, read a lot of books, became quite the networker. My eyes are wide open to possibilities.

Participated in the 48 hour film festival as an actor. It reminded me that I do love acting, and the process of working on a creative project. The experience tells me that I have to find an outlet for my creativity.

Landed my first major client. My work with them has resulted in the best fourth quarter they have ever had! They have since given me two referrals.

Went on a fun camping trip with a bunch of women. It always surprises me that I love the outdoors so much (those that know me are surprised to find out I'm a "camping kind of girl").

Witnessed the birth of my best friend's son. Miraculous. Beautiful. Intense. It touched my soul.

Spent some joyful time with my nephews and niece. The connection I feel to them, even if I don't see them often, is powerful.

Started this blog. Another surprise. I am truly enjoying this interactive conversation I'm having with people I've never met. It seems to fit quite well with the transition I am in.

Said goodbye to a Great Love. In reality, the goodbye took about a year and 2800 miles to accomplish. Though this Great Love has been accurately described as "odd and incomplete"...and though I'm not happy about losing it...I am profoundly grateful that I have had love in my life.

Turned 40. Preparing for this forced me to take a look at myself in ways I haven't in the past. It forced me to let go of certain things. And by the time the actual birthday took place- I felt great: young, sexy, and fabulous.

Enjoyed the holidays with my family. I'm just glad I can say that.

And today, I'm preparing to host a party with some good friends. Lots of food, champagne, and real connection.

Looking ahead to 2007...I don't really want to have a "to-do" list. And I'm worried that having hopes for the year leads to expectations which could lead to disappointment.

Having said that, perhaps I can just "throw some wishes" out into the universe? :) Hell, yeah, that's what I'll do...My wishes:

...to strengthen my relationships with my family
...that my business continues to build momentum, and starts to take on a more defined shape
...to find my partner, a Great Love, that will stick this time

Happy New Year! Here's to an awesome 2007!

14 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

Happy New Year To You.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Lizza said...

You've reached quite a few milestones in 2006. Wishing you all the best in 2007. Happy New Year!

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

Happy new year! On a selfish note, I'm glad I've found Infinite Connections and look forward to reading in the new year.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

BRAVO! What a fantastic year for you. Pod says it best ... onwards & upwards!!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope 2007 will be a great year for you.(and if it is or isn't you'll let us know here.)I think love will happen when you're not looking for it so hard.God Bless

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I am extremely impressed with what you've accomplished in just one year. But I'm most impressed that you had the courage to make so many important moves and to take on risk. It sounds to me like you have laid the foundation for a fantastic 2007!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Pod said...

thanks for the visit. here's wishing you all the success you can handle and have great fun finding the great love!! toodle pip!

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Aileen said...

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Bring On The Seven! :)

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Merujo said...

Wow! You really did have a pretty amazing year! May 2007 bring you all sorts of new, tremendous experiences and adventures!

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Is your old job still available? I graduate in the spring and would love a high-paying job, in fact, any job not involving "pizza" and "driving" would be pretty neat. Happy New Year!

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Aileen, it sounds like you've had an amazing year. You should feel wonderful about all of that! Best of luck to you in 2007.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through the V.I.P. Lounge. I wanted to wish you a wonderfull New Year! Sounds like you had a pretty good previous year!

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aileen,

Best of luck on your adventureous new life. Somehow I think you are going to have a great '07. Thanks for checking out my blog. I'll be posting some new things soon.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines