Random Blog Infinite Connections: The Downside of Being a Low-Maintenance Chick...

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Downside of Being a Low-Maintenance Chick...


...is that I don't always look my best when I am "out and about".

No, sadly, when I'm walking around post-workout, I don't resemble anything close to this picture of Kate Hudson. In fact, I couldn't really find a picture to properly represent me in all my natural glory.

Soooo...let me explain how this has come into play this week.

I've returned to my old routine of starting each day with a rather long, vigorous hike/walk around the trails in my neighborhood. I go for about an hour, ending at a nearby Panera, where I begin a little morning work.

I do not shower before I go. I'm in workout gear- sweats or yoga pants, sports bra, t-shirt. No make-up, of course. Hair pulled back, baseball hat pulled low. In other words, I do my best to shield myself in order to spare the public this potentially disturbing sight.

There's a cozy little corner in my Panera, that has two soft chairs and a little table between them. The chairs are slightly slanted towards each other, so it would be a nice place for a chat. Usually I try to snag that corner, because it's a nice place to drink my iced tea and read. But the spot is clearly for a twosome- so if only one person is sitting there, it's sort of an unspoken rule that you wouldn't take the other seat. Kinda an invasion of privacy, you know?

So two days in a row, two different men have chosen to sit beside me as I enjoy my morning beverage. And not just "men", but nice-looking men. Age-appropriate for Aileen men. Not wearing a ring men.

And they don't just sit and start reading a paper. Oh no.

They want to chat.

And smile.

And flirt.

And the entire time I'm thinking "What the f@#& ?!"

I can't flirt when I look like this!

Seriously. Can't. Flirt.

Can't make eye contact. Can't answer with more than one word at a time. It's basically my full-on, stand-back, don't f@#& with me vibe.

I'm hopeless.

8 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously you look better than you think. And honestly - your disinterest in flirting may make you seem all the more appealing...

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger who's-that said...

You're hilarious! That's the universe saying, "Get over yourself."

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't compare yourself to these men. They are probably unemployed. Why else would they be trolling for women at Panara instead of working!

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Of course. And it's a man-free summer, right? [Shaking head.] That's how it always works.

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a number of men who prefer to meet women in an extremely casual state of dress; it practically guarantees that you will "under-promise/over-deliver" if a date actually materializes. Not necessarily an endorsement of the position, just one possible explanation.

p.s. Anon, I work from a coffeeshop all the time, not because I am unemployed but rather because I am self-employed and enjoy the luxury.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Aileen said...

Tee-hee! I love the variety in these comments!

kate- oh believe me, my "disinterest" is downright scary!

who's that- it is, isn't it! HA! :)

anon- I was going to say what rr said- I go to coffee shops ALL the time, I am very much employed- I simply work for myself :) (And I wouldn't "compare myself" anyway...)

kristin- oh yeah- I guess I couldn't have really done much even if I had my full game on, huh? There I go breaking my own rules again!

rr- yeah, I've heard that before. I even have had a few bf's that really seemed to prefer me au natural...BUT- it does seem to have a negative affect on my confidence level.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

Maybe these guys feel comfortable approaching you precisely because you're NOT all dressed up, as if expecting to meet someone? Know what I mean? You're less threatening, somehow.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger [F]oxymoron said...

RR makes a good point.

Personally though, I’ll take a confident woman, dressed up or dressed down, any time of the day. Now, if you were drenched in a post Tae Bo workout sweat, then I’d agree with you. These men are … unique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines