Grieving a Loss
For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted a partner. A significant other.Yes, I was the girl in the kindergarten class that was kissing the boys on the playground. As I grew older, I always wanted to have a boyfriend. My friends started getting boyfriends in junior high…compared to them, I was a late bloomer and didn’t have a boyfriend until high school. And it was usually short-lived.
I didn’t go to either of my proms because I didn’t have a date. I would “date” older boys, boys from other schools, and it was never very serious. I made bad choices and was usually treated pretty poorly.
From a very young age, I thought of myself as the “girl that boys don’t like”. Even if that wasn’t true, it was my reality. And it became part of my identity.
Finding a partner has ALWAYS been my #1 priority in life.
Meanwhile, the rest of my life happened. Almost everything else came easily. Friends, career, financial success, adventure, etc. etc. But no matter what was going on in my life, no matter how exciting and fabulous it was, it always felt like it was something that was happening “while I was waiting”. Waiting for what I really wanted.
I spent the bulk of my 20’s (7 years) in a relationship. He wanted to marry me. I grew bored with him and fell out of love. He is now happily married with a family.
I was swept off my feet in my late 20’s, and that relationship ended tragically. Losing a loved one in that way can really mess up how you handle love. Had he lived, our relationship still would have ended badly, but I know it would have taken a very long time to get to that point.
I became engaged to the very next “appropriate” man that I met in my early 30’s. We were together 3 months when he bought the ring. He left me for another woman three months later. He proposed to yet another woman a year later, using my returned engagement ring.
Two of my brothers got married around that time. I remember my grandmother saying to my youngest brother (11 years younger than me) “Well I guess you’re next!” When I said “What about me?” She told me she had given up on me.
And deep, deep, down…I knew she was right. I SEE myself as the “woman who can’t find a man”. Part of my friggin’ identity is that I’m the one who is always looking for a man.
I know how this all sounds. I know it sounds like I’m one of those desperate females whose self-worth is measured by men, and maybe that is true. Generally, I would say I’m a confident women with healthy self-esteem. I’m not sure why I can’t be all those things and STILL prefer to have a man in my life? I’m a pretty smart cookie, and I give phenomenal advice to others who are struggling. I’m even pretty damn good at relationship advice. But pretty hopeless when it comes to my own issues with love.
I’ve heard all the clichés:
“it happens when you least expect it”
“you have to put yourself out there”
“you keep picking the wrong men”
Blah. Blah. Blah.
I have put myself “out there” in every way you can imagine. New social circles, personal ads, video dating services, online dating, speed dating, pursuing interests in the hopes of meeting someone “naturally”, through friends, etc. etc. etc.
I have also tried the “stop looking” method. I have gone on man-free sabbaticals that lasted many months.
And I've changed up the "type of man" I've chosen. Multiple times.
When I was in my late 30’s I fell in love with a man who was emotionally unavailable. He made it clear, over and over again, that he was unable or unwilling to give me what I wanted. He said he “never felt compelled to take our relationship to the next level.” I spent FOUR years emotionally attached to this man.
Last year, I met a man who wanted to love me. Who wanted to be my partner and give me everything I’ve always wanted. All I could see were the things I thought were “wrong” with him. Our relationship did not look like what I “thought” it should be. I pushed and pushed until he finally went away. And the moment he did, I knew I had made a huge mistake.
When this particular relationship ended, a close friend of many years said to me “I don’t think you really do want to find a partner. Everything you do says you don’t want that.” This broke my heart, because I DO, I REALLY, REALLY DO. And I don’t know how to “undo” all the things I do that sabotage things for me.
I’m 44 years old. I’ll be 45 this year. I’m tired. I’m exhausted. Nothing about dating appeals to me. Even the thought of “falling in love” holds only lukewarm interest. Because I’ve been in love, and it has never worked out. I’m in love right now and in great pain. It is SO hard not to become cynical and bitter. I do NOT want to be one of those man-hating bitter old-maid types. But I can see how easily that could happen.
I have always had friends of various ages, including women older than me. I remember when I was younger and I looked at my friends in their 40’s and 50’s who were unmarried, and I felt sorry for them. And it pisses me off that people feel sorry for me. It pisses me off that it’s true that it gets more and more difficult for a woman as we get older. The fact of the matter is, we are less attractive than we used to be. The fact of the matter is, men are visually stimulated and they are drawn to younger women. So unless I am open to dating the geriatric set, my odds are getting slimmer and slimmer.
I’m not even going to get into the baby issue… That’s a whole other chapter. And more.
I’m tired of yearning for something I don’t have. I’m tired of feeling like I’m “missing” something. I’m tired of feeling like I don’t fit in with my own family. Or the majority of society, for that matter.
So I asked myself recently “What if someone told you that you were never ever going to find that lifelong partner? That you were never going to get married?”
In other words, what if I knew for sure that my worst fear was going to come to fruition?
I guess I would have to figure out another way to be happy. I’d have to find joy somewhere. I’d have to change how I see my future, my goals, my life.
So that’s what I’m doing. I’m done. I’m done with “looking”. I’m done with “trying”. I’m done with “yearning”. I’m tired of feeling unhappy and incomplete.
I NEED to find joy and happiness in life WITHOUT a partner. Yeah, yeah, yeah….I know you’re thinking about all those clichés “You have to be happy with yourself first” “You have to love yourself before you love anyone else”.
Yep. I know all that. And I’ve done that. I’ve worked on my own happiness before. But there was always an underlying hope that it was going to lead to love. That as soon as I did _____, I would find love. Or as soon as I fixed _____, I would find love.
This time is different.
Apparently, I am one of those women who will go through life without a partner. Regardless of what some may think, I did not choose this. But this is how it is. And I can no longer handle the angst of not being where I want to be.
Trying to figure out how to be happy now is scary. And confusing. I really do feel like I’m grieving a loss. The loss of my dreams, my goals. The loss of who I always wanted to be. I am assuming that I have to get through this grief before I can really see happiness clearly. At the moment, I make my decisions about how to spend my time by using the measuring stick “does this nourish my soul today?” If it does, then I’m in.

12 Comments:
Oh honey, do I understand. Your post made me cry because I understand too well.
I'm 47 and I came to a similar conclusion a few years ago. It's hard when people assume that you are alone by choice or worse, tell you "Oh you still have time". No, it's NOT by choice and everyone has time, but I have learned to live with it.
It's not easy, and days like today are hard, but remember your friends and family and have fun with your life. Maybe that "one" will come along. Maybe not. But you'll have a good life anyway, right? Take care, Aileen.
I don't agree that you are necessarily "one of those women who will go through life without a partner"-- it might still happen for you, plus you've had partners in the past, so not having one this second doesn't negate all those earlier relationships just because they ultimately ended. But I love the "does it nourish my soul" test for making life decisions. And I'm very, very happy to hear that you've been talking to someone and that you're seeing some of the clouds of depression lift. It's nice to see you back writing. :)
This is extremely honest. And I want to commend you for that. Hilarity in Shoes, a favorite blogger of mine, recently wrote a similar post that can be found here. http://www.hilarity-in-shoes.com/2011/01/26/could-have-been-love-story/ . She is 35 and single and wants desperately not to be and to have children and a family and writes "I didn’t know that there are decisions you make–or fail to make–that can’t be undone. I thought I had all the time in the world to figure things out, to patiently wait for the gods of chance to deal me a winning hand, and I was wrong. The universe of options available to me narrowed so rapidly and finally that I never saw it happen" and advises younger women "find someone now, while the field is deep and wide. Look for reasons to love people." I have to say that while I dont want to criticize you when you are down but it sounds like you did have chances at love. The 7 year relationship in your 20s but you got bored. Choosing men that weren't right for you or that didn't treat you well or that werent really available. It doesn't sound like you had a LACK of options when it came to men though you call yourself the girl who couldn't find anybody. Instead, it sounds like you didn't like your options or made some bad choices. And then there is the man who wanted to love you in your 30s and you pushed him away. You say you have been looking for a "PARTNER" but I wonder if you've been looking for "PERFECT". Or some fairytale that doesn't exist. I'm with someone new now who is decent and kind and interesting. He's not gorgeous or my ideal man. But I cant imagine running out of things to talk about with him even in the course of a lifetime and I can see us making tough decisions together and standing by one another. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. And for what its worth, 80 year olds in old folks homes can find love and companionship. So can you, even in your 40's. And if not, Diane Keaton, who dated Woody Allen, Warren Beatty and Al Pacino never married and adopted her first of two children at age 50. Life looks different for everyone. And everyone only gets one life and it goes by - and fast - . Try to be happy with what you have and good luck, T.
giggles- yep, you get it :) thanks for your comment
mysterygirl- I am aware that it could still happen, but I think it's healthier at this point to assume it won't...I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than continuously disappointed...:)
Toddy- I am aware that my choices have brought me to where I am. However, trust me when I say I have never looked for perfection...or even wanted it. All I have wanted is someone I can relate to, have fun with, who wants to love me as much as I love them...That's it. I think it is easier for others to point at me and say "You did this." Because it's easier to think that than to think there is such thing as bad luck.
this is a thought-provoking post, to be sure. the central truth in all of this is that you have to be comfortable in your own skin, alone, before you can move on to being with someone else in a long-term thing.
i can't speak to the central issue here - i'm 29, and i wouldn't be som presumptuous to pretend i know anything about it. but i will say this: i don't like to traffic in absolutes like "never." i recently reached a goal that i'd been pursuing for 15 years, nearly sure it would be a lost cause. turns out it wasn't, and the difference was that i took the time to develop myself, in my own skin, and get in touch with what i wanted for myself.
all the best to you in whatever you decide.
I appreciate the honesty of this. And yes, our decisions lead us to where we are whether that was our intention or not. But you don't need anyone blaming you or telling you what you already know. So, I'll just tell you what worked for me: after getting my heart completely shattered by a guy who made it clear from day one the relationship was going nowhere, I got honest. I mean brutally honest. With myself and with any guy I was going out with. I had a list of what I absolutely had to have in a partner. Write it down if you have to so you don't forget or get sidetracked by silly stuff like whether he'd win a beauty contest or how much money he makes. That's the honesty part for you. For any one you start seeing - make it clear you will not have your time wasted because it is precious and life is too short. Make it clear what you want out of the relationship. Be very prepared to walk away if he can't give it to you. Walk away when needed.
This completely changed the dynamic in my dating. No more wasted time; no more putting up with some guy who was only half interested. I found the guy who thinks I'm the best thing that ever happened to him and I think he's the best that's happened to me. Married almost 2 years now. Couldn't be happier.
I think you can be quite happy by yourself. But if it's not what you want, then I hope you find happiness however you define it. Just don't let anyone else define it for you - that's what makes the difference.
"unless I am open to dating the geriatric set, my odds are getting slimmer and slimmer."... it sounds to me like you are stillll missing the point...and being quick to rule lots of folks out... :-(
Exact same place; I almost feel as though you ripped a page out of my journal. Family all happily married, mother and grandmother - both married for 40+ years each - have given up on me, my friends tell me it's my fault that I have bad taste in men. Everything else is there - just not this one thing. You are farther ahead than I am, in that you've come to a conclusion. I am just still very angry that I am here, with all this love to give and yet no partner, when all I deal with all day is the negative in this life that comes from all the seriously screwed up people who are having kids and abandoning them, or getting married, divorced, and then married again, etc. It makes me very angry and I don't know how to come away from that anger. Yet your post offers me some hope, and while I no my saying this offers NO comfort whatsoever (trust me, I know it doesn't....), it is true that you are not alone. Our joy is to be found somewhere else, and if you are brave enough to go out and try to find it, I believe I can be too. So for today know that your honesty and sincerity has inspired at least one person in a similar situation, to try a bit harder and go forth. Thank you for that.
Oh lordy, lordy, lordy, folks! :) Thank you for commenting...I know, I know I know!!! These are the comments I've been hearing for decades, and I HAVE made adjustments, I HAVE opened up my mind, I HAVE become comfortable in my own skin etc. etc.
I didn't mean to imply that I think it will *NEVER* happen for me, I just need to stop YEARNING for it. I would much rather be pleasantly surprised than continuously disappointed.
And I DO get the point- I'm NOT ruling people out...even the 'geriatric set'...What I have been looking for is simple: someone I connect with, who I have fun with, who loves me as much as I love them...that is all! Sometimes significantly older men do not fit that bill (occasionally they do, depends on the person).
The BIGGEST mistake I have made is not walking away when as soon as it becomes clear the person can not/ will not give me what I want/need. I have a really tough time letting go, and there are important reasons for that. Reasons I continually work on.
But I get where you all are coming from...for those of you who are in love and happy, you want to believe it is partly because you "did something right" and that you could not have ended up in my position because you would have done things better.
For those of you who are younger than I and still single, of COURSE you want to believe this can't happen to you, therefore you look for logical reasons why it has happened to me.
It seems that those that are in the same boat are the ones that understand what I'm saying and how I'm feeling.
To be honest, I wasn't really seeking advice on how to find my partner, I just needed to express this desire to rearrange my priorities and attempt to find joy WITHOUT a partner.
I really didn't do anything right, it was divine intervention. Take it at that 'cause if I have to describe it, it'll come off as a pail full of crazy.
Do rearrange your priorities to focus on independence. You probably already know that only you can make you happy. You can misirble and single or misirable and married/partnered. People who are happy and married were probably happy people to begin with.
Because of some other posts it seems less like a reflection on singleness and more like a reflection on what you don't have. Instead of focusing on the empty space, marvel at all the room there is, there is a difference.
When I was approaching my 39th birthday, I figured I'd be filing Single until I died. So I planned on making the best of it. No kids? I'd strengthen bonds with my nieces. I'd also planned to take steps to be financially rock solid, take delight in my career, in my neighborhood, and I was going to have a good time.
If you're seriously going to try to find happiness while single, recflecting on what/who you don't have is a counterprodcutive activity.
Excellent points, Mari! Thanks for commenting...:)
Ah, how funny that Toddy name-checked that post of mine, because when I saw this link on DCBlogs I knew it was going to be a hard read. I had to take it in little bits--in particular, the bit about spending part of your 30s in love with a man who told you upfront and repeatedly that he would never want a relationship hit me very close to home.
I feel your pain, I really, really do. I know very well how difficult it is to talk honestly about how difficult it is to say that love is something you really want and to begin to grapple with the idea that wanting does not equal getting. It's like an open invitation for people to give you advice about loving yourself and picking better men and blah blah blah when the truth is sometimes it just doesn't happen, and there's no good road map for that.
Thanks for writing this. I hope it brought you some peace.
Post a Comment
<< Home