Later-in-Life Lesbians

Is this really what it's come to?
I remember reading a magazine article a few months ago that told about more and more women "becoming lesbians" later in life. After divorce...after kids...They just wanted a pure emotional bond, companionship, love, etc.
And I've heard more and more of my friends discussing the same subject.
"I get plenty of sex, that's not an issue."
"I just want the emotional support- and women are better at giving that."
"I want someone who will stick around."
I have a hard time getting my head around this idea. Not only because of the obvious prefer-to-have-sex-with-men thing...but also because I just LOVE male energy. LOVE male attention. And would LOVE to be LOVED by a MAN. Not sure it would feel the same to me to be loved by a woman.
But the women I talk to and read about are serious about this idea. They feel it's more about the person than the gender. That if it was the right person, and it felt right...it would be just as good or better than a heterosexual relationship.
And I keep making my same old argument "But there isn't really any substitute for a real life attached-to-a-man penis!" Right?

5 Comments:
I guess that people love who they love. I know women who are now in relationships with other women after a lifetime with men. They seem to be happy but I'm still in love with men.
The Kinsey Scale, that old-fashioned measure of hetero- and homosexuality, is supposedly something of a spectrum, and people can fall anywhere along that spectrum. Some people are way at one end, exclusively hetero, while others are exclusively homo. Others fall somewhere in the middle, and even move around there, depending on life experience.
I think some people can indeed be flexible about sexuality. But I don't think people really "choose" whether to be gay or lesbian. I think individual women either have the capacity to love other women, or they don't -- and it sounds like you may not! :)
I find this a very interesting topic. At one time, maybe a decade ago or more, I simply couldn't conceive of it - for myself. But I have had some very deep connections with women and though I don't experience those friendships as sexual, I can understand how it could become that. I think a lot of barriers are coming down and we're many of us are questioning what all the rules are anyway.
And I can understand your distinction of male energy but I don't think that energy only exists in men nor do I think female energy only exists in women. We're all much more complex than that.
Where the heck have you been on here anyway? I've been looking for you for over a month.
There is a lot of truth in these comments. Let's have a cup of coffee together and I'll give you my personal take on this subject...
I would hypothesize that a number of the women referenced like the "real life attached-to-a-man penis," however all of the baggage and drama associated with having it have contributed to their choices.
Post a Comment
<< Home