Mid-Life Crisis...Feminine Style
I've always been out-of-sync with my age. As a young child, I often preferred to be with adults over kids my age. I didn't like cartoons. I read a lot when it wasn't cool.In high school I dated older boys and didn't participate in some of the coming-of-age rituals like prom.
In college, I was more focused on discovering my new love of the theatre and acting, and I avoided sororities, parties, and really letting loose. During a time when I could have been "playing the field", I had a long term relationship that lasted throughout most of my twenties.
After college, when my contemporaries were pursuing their careers and beginning their lives, I lived in Daytona Beach and discovered all night parties, drug experimentation, and short term flings.
When my friends were getting married and having babies, I was moving around the country and up the corporate ladder.
Finally, in my early-mid thirties, I began to get serious. I've lived in this area for about ten years, I purchased my first house, I launched my own business.
I've dated like a fiend, and have had more than my share of love affairs.
The last few years, I've begun to feel restless. I thought about moving again. I resisted because it feels harder to uproot this time: my home is here, most of my friends are here.
But the restlessness is growing. Gnawing at me on a weekly basis. I think that is why I've taken FIVE vacations this year.
And my behavior is regressing.
I've taken up social drinking again after years of abstinence. I party more often, and have more men in my life now than when I was in my twenties.
And the idea of a hook-up is not as foreign to me now as it would have been just a few short years ago.
I went to Dewey Beach for the first time this past weekend and experienced a culture I haven't been involved in since I lived in Daytona all those years ago.
I'm acting like a teenager. Something feels "off". Something is UP.

2 Comments:
Yeah, something's UP alright. You can't run from yourself. Not successfully anyway. It's not your circumstances that need changing (those, you would only recreate elsewhere), and it sure isn't you (I declare it not to be so, but it's questionable whether you can really change yourslef anyhow [because if you could, I would've learned to type "yourself" by now]) Decide that you're worth it, and mean it, and choose what you want from your choices in your current circumstances.
Yeah, believe me, I know, it's nearly impossible. Still,...
Dewey Beach. Wow. I feel too old for that but if you've never been, maybe you needed the experience? It sounds like you're right - something is up.
Post a Comment
<< Home