You Look Just Like...
When I was a little girl, people told me I looked like Amy Carter. And it was right as I was getting my very first pair of eyeglasses. (For those of you old enough to remember Amy Carter, she was known for her nerdy eyeglasses. Ironically, I couldn't find any pictures of her wearing those glasses...)I hated it. I think she and I were close to the same age...and I knew that she was considered plain and nerdy. Little boys used to taunt me by calling me by her name.
Thankfully, Jimmy Carter didn't stay in office that long...and I outgrew my nerdy look.

Then during pre-adolescent years, I was sometimes compared to Suzanne Somers. Only by my best friends that were trying to give me compliments, of course. And our biggest difference was the fact that I was flat as a board.
Over the years, I've been compared to her more often. I think it's the size of our smile and our shaggy blonde hair. I don't mind this particular comparison.
In my ea
rly twenties, it was Debbie Gibson. Yes, I wore the bowler hat. And wore my hair long and straight like hers. I have pictures that I look at now and think- OMG! Again, I didn't really like this comparison, because while Debbie Gibson may have been considered
"cute" at the time, she certainly wasn't considered a hottie by any means.In my early twenties, when I was pursuing an acting career, people starting comparing me to Teri Garr. I had to admit, my acting headshots looked just like her. Though I am quite a few years younger than her, I didn't mind because I figured "hey, she's a working actress...this could be a good thing!"
A couple years ago I walked into a coffee shop when the clerk behind the counter exclaimed excitedly "Oh my God, you look just like Teri Garr!" And he went on to explain what a huge fan he was (like...president of the fan club type of fan). I gotta say...it was creepy. I got a very brief taste of what celebs must feel like sometimes...
The other comparison I've absolutely hated...that I've had for years and years...is to Barbra Streisand. Is she phenomenally talented? Of course. This comparison hits one of my hot buttons though...my nose. As a young girl, when I would get compared to Barbra, I was sure it was only because of my nose. I was self-conscious about it enough.
Oddly, though, even during my post-nose job years, I still get compared to her. And my nose is now totally fine.
Last weekend while boating with friends, this man who was trying to hit on me kept saying "You look like someone...I just can't figure it out!" I knew it would be one of the above celebs, most likely Teri, Suzanne or Barbra since those are the ones I get the most often...
Finally he said- "
I got it! With that hat, you look just like Barbra Streisand in the movie 'What's Up Doc' "!Almost made me want to burn that hat when I got home.

4 Comments:
Some things are better left unsaid. It doesn't sound like he meant to flatter but rather to relieve a niggling familiarity in one many's mind. Sheesh.
You are lovely.
I've never thought you looked like anyone but yourself, but then I'm not very good with movie stars!
I think you are beautiful!
Kristin and Barbara- you guys are so sweet! I know this post sounds like I was bemoaning my own looks...that's really not the case so much. Just the odd phenomenon of people telling you who you look like...
And oddly, the man on the boat thought he was giving me a compliment...As he said "I thought she was very, very cute back then!"
It must have been the hat. I'd never think you looked like Barbra. (Though frankly I think Barbra is quite attractive!)
I definitely see the resemblance to Teri Garr and Suzanne Somers, though.
People sometimes tell me I look like Michael Stipe, which has never thrilled me much.
Post a Comment
<< Home