An Old Code Making a Comeback
However, I did not want to be considered easy. I wanted my first time to be special, to be with someone who deserved to be with me.
I set forth a simple rule: I would not sleep with any man until I knew for sure that he liked me as much as I liked him.
It took a few years to find someone that met my requirements. At 19, I finally found it. I chose correctly because he and I were together for seven years.
But somehow as I grew older, I forgot all about my old "code". Not that I needed a code to select bed partners, but perhaps it would have benefited me to apply that code to relationships in general:
I will not be in a relationship with any man (or woman) until I know for sure that he (she) likes me as much as I like him (her).
OK... that doesn't quite sound right. I don't always have to have the emotional upper hand in every relationship I have, right? So how about this modification:
I will not remain in any relationship with anyone who does not treat me in a way that shows he/she cares about me as much as I care about them.
When I take that measuring stick and apply it to the people in my life, there are a few people that do not make the cut.
Why do I even need a code? Because my intellectual judgment is so much better than my emotional judgment. Because somewhere along the way, I became way too tolerant, way too forgiving and understanding, and that has led to some dysfunctional relationships.
Which doesn't make sense when I think about it objectively. My behavior would indicate that I don't fully believe that I deserve the best. That I don't deserve to be treated with care.
That simply ain't so.
I know I'm a good person, with a big heart. I know I have a lot to give my close friends and any man who will be lucky enough to get me. I know I am blessed with intellect, humor, success, sensuality, attractiveness, and an ability to have fun. So why would I put up with sub-par friendships or relationships?
Ain't gonna happen anymore.

8 Comments:
This is a very interesting post. I had the same code about virginity (and that code led me to hold out until a much older age than you -- I mean *much* older). I've also imposed other codes similar to the ones you mention here. I am currently in what I would describe as a subpar, yet deeply intertwined, relationship, and I keep looking for some "rule" that will help me decide what I should do about it (although, really, I already know the answer -- so why am I afraid to act on it?)
In my case, I think that my intuitive judgment is spot-on, but then my intellectual judgment marches in and hamstrings it. I also think that for me, I have a hard time separating the intellectual thoughts from the emotional feeling -- it's almost as if I can't have an emotion without thinking myself into or out of it. For me, I think the trick is to allow myself to know things -- really know them on a cellular level -- without having to intellectualize around them first.
Sorry to ramble, but this one really hit home.
I actually went a little further than you did on the initial requirement. I insisted that my partner be able to tell me he LOVED me. I give the men, make that boys, I was dating credit since none of them were able to comply. At some point, actually on Mother's Day (believe it or not), at just about the same age as you, I decided to end my virginity just because I was tired of wearing it around my neck like an albatross. If there really was love, it was a very immature love.
I like your new rules for yourself. You have to be able to look in the mirror and like what you see. This way you will always feel good about that person looking back at you!
Happy 2009!
I like your code very much.
Because my intellectual judgment is so much better than my emotional judgment. Because somewhere along the way, I became way too tolerant, way too forgiving and understanding, and that has led to some dysfunctional relationships.
I identify so much with this. I've let myself get sucked into friendships in which I've been consistently treated with less respect and consideration than I've treated the other person, and it's taken me a long time to recognize and break the pattern. Thank you for writing this; I needed to read it today.
Best of luck!
I recently came to a similar conclusion -- about the new code, that it. It is so easy to keep friendships going out of convenience and comfort (much like relationships) and to overlook the things that make you uncomfortable. It wasn't until I really needed my friends that I realized which ones were of true quality.
sorry to be late to this party...i realllly wanted to think about it before i wrote anything.. and i couldnt come up with anything better than the immortal words of SuperTramp
"i want you to want me..
i need you to need me...
i'd love you to love me.."
xoxo
oh yeah! almost forgot...the virgin code thing..i just wanted him to have done it before...but i caved on that one too! lol
Adrianne- thanks for your thoughtful comment...isn't it a bear when there's such a battle between our intuition and our intellect? And I can relate to you about knowing something but not necessarily being able to act on it...Maybe that's something we'll both get better at in '09.
Barbara- Ahhh...but if my requirement was for a boy to tell me he loved me, I would have lost my virginity at 14! It turned out well for me, because my first time was definitely filled with love...
bozoette- thank you!
kat- it's interesting to know that many people experience the same dilemma. I'm hoping to break my pattern.
fiery nuggets- you are spot on about friends coming through when you really need them. My challenge has been that I often don't ask for help, or let them know that I need them, and if they let me down, I forgive too easily.
suicide blond- what a perfect anthem for this dilemma! And how sweet that you lost your virginity together....
damn..it wasnt supertramp....it was cheap trick... guess thats why they dont call me suicide_brain-surgeon!!!
xoxo
Post a Comment
<< Home