Random Blog Infinite Connections: A Holiday of Joy and Sorrow

Friday, January 02, 2009

A Holiday of Joy and Sorrow

I attempted to take this picture about ten times...this was the best I could do!

...My three year old nephew DJ exclaiming after opening each and every gift "This is EXACTLY what I wanted!" and doing a touchdown dance with high-fives.

...My five year old nephew NG quietly protesting "But I don't like books..." after opening one of his gifts.

...Our typical family traditions being altered and muted due to my Gram's terminal illness.

...DJ walking into my Gram's house saying "I'm here to make you feel better Gram!"

...Listening to my nephews laugh as we watched "Bedtime Stories".

...My eight year old niece, CA saying to my youngest brother's girlfriend "Aunt Aileen says she's not buying you Christmas presents until you have a ring on your finger!"

...My Dad being excited about the pasta maker I bought him.

...Watching my Gram open her presents, and saying goodnight to her on Christmas night.

...Being given a portion of my Gram's estate prematurely.

...Having my Stacy London experiment work on my Christmas gifts to my Mom.

...Going out to dinner with my parents and having a heart-wrenching conversation about getting old, death, grieving, and family connections.

...Gathering with my extended family in shifts, each of us with glistening eyes and smiles on our faces as we await the tragedy before us.

...My Dad making his famous homemade pizza especially for me.

...Going out for a drink with my youngest brother and my godson...and finding myself giving them bad relationship advice.

...The gift from my aunt to all of us women...a compilation DVD featuring our annual Girls' Weekends dating back to 1986.

...Realizing that Girls' Weekend 2008 was the last one my Gram would attend.

...Saying goodbye to my Gram as I head back home and her saying "I hate to see you go".

...Connecting with close friends on my way up to visit my parents and on my way back.

...Reconnecting with an old love, knowing there's still love there, and lots of pain.

...The comfort of my home during my New Year's Eve dinner party.

...Ringing in the New Year with good friends.

...Hope for 2009.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger rachaelgking said...

Oh, too sweet... too sad. It sounds like you're doing the very best you can, though... and you'll have no regrets. That's really all any of us can ask for, after all.

Wishing you extra strength and a mountain of hope for 2009.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

It must have been hard to tear yourself away, knowing it might be the last time you would see her. I'm glad you were able to experience the warmth of your extended family. I love the fact that you were giving "relationship advice" to the guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines