Spontaneous Arrangements
One of the things I miss about college is the fact that you can create last minute social plans and pretty much guarantee that you'll have at least a few people to join you.Whew. It's been a long time since college.
As an adult, maintaining a healthy, interesting social life is almost like a full time job. It takes planning. And scheduling. And prioritizing. And commitment. It can get exhausting.
Last week I conducted a bit of an experiment. I attempted to create last minute, spontaneous, social arrangements. Wow! What a rebel I am! What a risk taker!
All I know is that I had been working all day, it was a weekday afternoon, and it was a simply gorgeous day. And sometime in the mid-afternoon, I decided I wanted some company that evening. I had no pre-arranged plans. I wanted to be "out", to enjoy the weather, etc.
I made twelve phone calls/emails. Twelve. Six plus six. I only spoke directly to about 1/3 of the people I was attempting to contact. I mainly left voice mails and emails. Every single one included an invitation to dinner and/or drink that evening.
Potentially, I guess I could have ended up with a party of 13.
Or 8.
Or 6.
And like so many other things in life, it turned out to be a numbers game. I ended up with 1 person who was available and willing to join me. Every one else had plans, was booked, or didn't feel like going out. It might be interesting to note, that 2 out of my 12 invitations were to men. And it was one of the men that accepted.
Happy ending, though. I had a fantastic evening with a great friend.

3 Comments:
I, too, miss that about college, basically walking out into the hall and finding friends to go to the gym, the ice cream shop, a movie. Anything. These days it's just so much harder.
Glad to hear you had a good night, even if it was just the two of you.
That's a pretty sad comment on our over-committed society. I am trying to rediscover spontaneity, but it takes a lot of work and not everyone is interested, as you found out. Instead we've become a bunch of Palm Pilot, Blackberry-driven fanatics who must schedule well in advance. Nice try! I'm glad one person showed up.
I think people just get tired as they get older, sad to say. If I can just go home after work, I'm often so thankful!
But having said that, occasional nights out are essential, and it IS nice when you can be spontaneous and work something out. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home