Random Blog Infinite Connections: I'm so ticked at (my) Democratic Party, I could spit...

Monday, August 25, 2008

I'm so ticked at (my) Democratic Party, I could spit...



I knew this would happen. I blogged about it over a year ago.

This election was supposed to be a shoo-in. The Democrats didn't have to win this election- it was theirs to lose.

Ugh. Why can't this party get their act together when it comes to campaigning to the "average middle-class American"?

While I am excited and impressed that the final two primary choice were an African-American and a woman...I've known that America simply isn't ready for it. It's sad, and it's embarrassing, but it's also true.

Between hearing my parents say "I can't vote for anyone with the middle name of Hussein" and hearing others say "I can't let that Michelle Obama anywhere near the white house- she hates this country and she hates whites", I am scared.

When the primaries dragged out and became vicious, I knew that each of the two candidates were doing irreparable harm. They were handing the Republicans clear, simple reasons to beat whichever Democratic candidate ultimately ran for President.

Last fall I asked myself- "How will the Republicans possibly win this election?" It seemed that finally the country was united in agreeing that Bush was doing a deplorable job. Everything's a mess. We need to change our position in the world. We are all worse off than we were eight years ago.

But when I asked myself this question, I knew the answers.

A) The Republicans need to stay as quiet as possible during the entire primary process- let the Democrats beat each other up, and tire each other out.

B) The Republican candidate needs to distance himself from Bush as much as he possibly can.

C) Once again, they need to appeal to Middle America. Come up with brief phrases and slogans that hit their hot buttons.

Well, Congrats to the McCain campaign on accomplishing all of the above. It is clearly paying off.

Meanwhile, we still have a vicious fight between Obama and Clinton supporters. And neither side is handling it well. Obama Dems are saying "We won! We won! Stop being sore losers! You're just a bunch of bitter women!" while the Clinton Dems respond "I will vote for Obama over my dead body! Never! Never I say!"

I feel like I'm in the middle of a freakin' playground fight.

Yes, I'm voting Democrat. I'm sick and tired of the direction this county is taking. And no, I don't think John McCain will bring enough change to the office. Or at least not the kind of change I am hoping for.

Remember when we were children and would fight with our siblings? My brother and I sometimes had knock-down, drag-out, name-calling fights. But the next day in school, if the school yard bully picked on him? My brother and I were one. United.

That's the way to beat the bully.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

I was actually encouraged about the Democratic Party after last night. At least Michelle Obama isn't voicing any of that offensive rhetoric!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm worried about this election, too, but I hope enough people are fed up that they're willing to support change. I also think a lot of scary conservatives may just stay home, because they don't love McCain, either.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger bulletholes said...

I'm all poised to vote Dem...but Democrats always seem to find a way to lose, and I don't know why.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Great analogy to the playground fight and my thoughts exactly. I hope things play out favorably to the Dems this time around. We have had enough of the other side to last quite a while - Thank you very much.

I am sorry that I have been away from your blog lately. I have been reading here and there without leaving comments because the energy it takes to comment was beyond me. Can you imagine? What a loser, lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines