Ahhhhh! Testosterone.

I've been beating myself up for the past few weeks. Primarily because I've been having a really hard time with my man-free summer.
I mean, geesh. I know I have needs- emotional, sexual, companionship, etc. But certainly I can go a couple months getting those needs met without having a man in my life, right?
I said...right??????
It seemed to me I was being weak. Is it loneliness? Insecurity? Fear? Hormones?
Please don't tell me I'm one of those women that needs to have a man in my life?!
Anything but that!
So today, as I fought off the desire to call/email/text a man, I had an "aha" moment: I am not longing for a romantic relationship. Or even a sexual relationship.
I simply need male energy in my life.
And if I don't get it- I feel like something's missing.
Suddenly, it was clear. I was raised surrounded by boys. Brothers, cousins. I was the only girl. It is in male company that I feel the most "safe", "connected", "home". Of course!
Though I have worked the last few years at connecting with women, appreciating women etc., it's still doesn't give me the same "home sweet home" feeling that I get when I'm with men.
Now, I can give myself permission to have more male friends. Just because I'm spending time with someone doesn't mean I have to date them. Yeah- I realize how obvious that sounds. But when you are a single woman, who is ultimately looking for a life partner, it is difficult to foster male friendships. I mean- if he's a great guy, and I enjoy spending time with him, shouldn't I be dating him? It has just occurred to me that the answer to that question is- Not necessarily.
I feel so much better now!

6 Comments:
Yeah...see, its not as bad as you thought!
when the one woman I work with is out, I have to start cal;ling around to talk to the women in the company or else I'll KILL somebody.
How interesting! That makes a lot of sense. Good for you for figuring that out. I guess the "man-free summer" program is working since you've already had this interesting insight. All my love.
You need more gay male friends. That's the answer -- male energy, no romantic overtones. :)
It's been nice having my brother (and his friends) around this summer. Lots of guys, little trouble.
Nice insight.
steve- Good point! I DON'T have enough gay male friends!
who's that- yes, I guess it is working! yea!
kristin- I know- I can't wait to go to Virgin Fest with my 3 bros! It's gonna be a blast!
I second Steve's suggestion. I love being around gay guys. They are always so creative and they understand emotions in a way straight guys don't admit to sometimes. If you really want male companionship without the other baggage, that's the way to go.
Post a Comment
<< Home