Responsibility vs. Adventure?

I have an opportunity to go to the Dalmation Coast of Croatia in August.
Pretty awesome, right?
Except that I've made a pact with myself to streamline my budget in preparation for a tougher economy. No excessive spending.
And... I'm not bringing in as much money as I was last year. So I would have to finance the trip on my credit card. Which I simply do not do.
And...I promised myself that I was going to take two trips per year preferably out of the country to make up for years of not traveling and exploring the world.
And...I really need a vacation. An adventure.
And...I could be setting myself up for more financial challenges.
Historically, I've been what I describe as "responsibly adventurous". Always ready to take a risk, have fun, try new things...as long as I have some sort of a baseline of stability and security.
This is the first time in many, many years that my sense of RESPONSIBILITY and my sense of ADVENTURE have been in direct conflict.


8 Comments:
All discovery happens at the periphery.
Yes, you can quote me on that one. And go to the Dalmatian Coast. Go! GO!
Sail the waters, gaze out over the ramparts, let slip your sense of time...
Definitely do it. Just use travelocity or something so you can tell yourself you tried your best to save money :)
also - you said you have the "opportunity" to go. It's not like you're randomly deciding to go there, it's being offered to you right? So, definitely a "sign," if you believe in those kinds of things!
I would go. Of course, I also went to Hawaii after six months of relative unemployment and temping. I figured it would all work out and it did. It pushed me to find a solid position.
Whatever you decide, do it without regret.
Planning a trip might provide the impetus to bring in the extra money to pay for it. I tend not to travel unless I know I can pay the Visa bill when it comes in afterwards, but who knows -- the $ --> Euro conversion may get even worse, so in the end you may be saving money by going now. How's that for distorted logic?
Life is short. Who knows when or if you'll ever have this opportunity again.
Listen to Ulysses, always listen to him, he's always right.
G O !!!
You people are bad influences on me??! (But of course- did I expect a different response?:)
Even those that sent private messages said the same thing...
go for it!
:o)
(i wouldn't have done in the past. Would now)
Go for the adventure! You'll find ways to pay.
Post a Comment
<< Home