Random Blog Infinite Connections: Whatever Works!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Whatever Works!


Is compatability overrated?


I spend a lot of time with couples. On more than one occasion, the woman makes a critical remark about another couple. (Usually a couple that isn't there). And it's usually about the dynamic of that other couple's relationship- or at least how it appears to outsiders. Things like:

"How does she put up with that?"


"They seem to be an odd match."


"She can do so much better than him."


"He can do so much better than her."


I usually butt-in with something like "Well, it seems to work for them. Whatever works, you know?"


Last week, when I was having this type of conversation with some members of my family, I started to think about some of the happiest couples I know. Most of them do not fit any kind of "conventional" model. Observe:


*My brother GS and his wife: I love him to death, but GS hates doing anything around the house. Or anything with the kids that requires work. He is a good provider and has a good job, and his wife stays at home during the day, and works three (!) part-time jobs in her spare time. She is constantly running around and basically does all the domestic work. They are madly in love, have been for years, and seem to like things just as they are.


*My best friend A and her husband: A is the primary bread-winner, her husband stays at home with the baby. She has the bulk of the financial responsibility for the family. Another thing I've always admired about this couple is the fact that they have each always managed to have their own lives- they don't do everything as a couple. And if anything, they appear to have grown closer in recent years.


*My brother JC and his wife: There's a 10 year age difference (she is older), they also have cultural differences (she is East Indian) and class differences (her father is wealthy). My brother changed his entire life to be with her, and he does not have friends outside his marriage/family (with one exception). And he's perfectly OK with that. They too, have had their share of obstacles, but I've been seeing their relationship deepen and they both seem extremely happy.


*My aunt and uncle: They are inseparable. My aunt has never held a full time job, my uncle makes all the decisions, and she is the quintessential "housewife type". They've been married for almost 50 years and yes, they seem happy.


*My parents: When I was younger, I sometimes couldn't understand why they were married. She is difficult to please, he sometimes acts like a child. And their fighting style seemed loud and dysfunctional to me. Yet, they have always had fun together...they stay very active together...they both are crazy about their family. And the last time they came to visit, they were kissing and holding hands like teenagers.


So, who are we to judge, right? If it ain't broke...

6 Comments:

At 3:02 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

It's often the ones who appear to have a marriage made in heaven who surprise you and split up. There is no magic formula, no one-size-fits-all when it comes to a good fit. Commitment and faithfulness count for a lot, but chemistry has to be there too for it to be a healthy relationship.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger lettuce said...

absolutely, i agree, every relationship is different and both similarity and difference are important in a relationship

I don't think anyone can really know - from outside - whats going on in another relationship. why is it people feel that need to judge?

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I don't think I have room to judge, especially if I'm doing it to make myself feel better by comparison.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

it is so ironic, or a coincidence, that you provide 5 examples of couples that remain together - back in the dark ages when I was in college and took a sociology class on marriage and the family - we read a paper that listed 5 types of 'successful marriages' - now mind you they didn't say happy - but defined success as something like couples that stayed together 25 yr. or longer.

the styles ranged from 'madly in love' (after all the years) to 'conflict habituated' to something like 'separate spheres'- your observations come very close to reflecting the typology that was presented! if I racked my brain I could probably remember the 5 types (even though I took that course in 1975....) but I'll spare you! suffice to say....you are an excellent observer and analyst!

yep, as you put so well 'whatever works!'

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

I agree -- whatever works. Despite the categorizations in Kim's class, I'm not sure relationships can really be characterized. Well, maybe very broadly. I see a lot of them come and go, and I think that's the nature of many relationships. Staying together at all costs doesn't seem like "success" to me!

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I love what letty wrote...

"I don't think anyone can really know - from outside - whats going on in another relationship. why is it people feel that need to judge?"

My feelings exactly. I have been through the 'judging' myself back when well meaning friends were giving advice about my relationship. The best comment I got was from my friend Winston who said "I trust your judgement". I have admired him so much since then and he is right. Only we know what works for us from the inside. We are the ones who are ultimately at peace with it as we reach the end of our lives. I cannot base my existence on making everyone else happy and ignoring what my heart is saying to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines