A Guys' Weekend

Being the only girl in the family, I occasionally get to view the world from the "other side". This weekend was one of those times. Our annual siblings weekend was a blast, as expected.
I experienced my first Preakness event. While I understood it to be a definite "fashion opportunity", I was unable to fully get my girl on the way I would have liked. Yes, I had a wide brimmed, ultra-feminine, straw hat to wear. I also picked out a very pretty summer sundress to wear. But as soon as I saw the cargo-shorts, polo shirts, and sneakers that my brothers were determined to wear, I realized I had to tone-down my girly-ness if I was going to hang with them all day.
That proved to be a good decision since at one point we ventured into the "infield". Oh. My. God. A crazy, muddy, drunken, filthy mess.
So we spent the day people watching, and giving each other a hard time. If one of us did or said something particularly annoying, we pulled the "you sound like mom" or "you sound like dad" lines. My brothers pretty much drank the entire day- I had two "black-eyed-susans" and that was more than enough for me. I got to hear some guy talk that in retrospect I might have been better off not hearing. Two of my brothers talked about their kids, my youngest brother talked about his girlfriend- they all questioned me about my love life while making it clear they really didn't want to hear too much detail about that (can't say I blame them)!
As far as the horse race betting goes- I proved to be the luckiest. I won 5 out of the 8 bets I placed. Of those 5, 4 of them were the winning horse. Apparently, that's unusual. All three brothers made fun of the fact that I only placed $2 bets. But at the end of the night, when they had lost decent amounts of money, and I was actually up 40 cents...they changed their tunes a bit.
On Sunday, we wrapped up our weekend by going to a matinee showing of the "Harold and Kumar" sequel. Lots of raunchy, juvenile, guy humor. I have to admit, I laughed out loud a few times.
Now I feel like I need to get to a spa- quick- for a mani/pedi/facial combo. So I can get my "girl pass" back!

8 Comments:
I went to my first Preakness back in '99. It was the longest/hottest/drunkest day of my life and I don't think I saw a single horse due to density of people on the infield. Consequently I am pretty sure that was my last Preakness.
Good thing for them they outnumber you, otherwise you could demand a quid pro quo girls' weekend. Oh how they would gripe and squirm...
It sounds like a perfect weekend with your brothers. Betting, drinking, walking in the mud and talking. Laughing. That's probably the best part. Talking and laughing with people who've known you forever and love you in spite (and because of) your flaws.
What a blast! I can just imagine you in the girly hat. Sad you had to ditch it and yes I think a mani/pedi/facial is definitely the right course of action to regain balance.
40 cents up! Awesome!!
I went to the Preakness once. Man, it was gross. People making out in Port-a-Potties.
I went to the Belmont Stakes a couple of years ago and won something like $4. My only experience with horse racing, and probably my last! (I did not, however, wear a big hat. :) )
What's in a black-eyed Susan, anyway??
GSR- yeah, sitting in the grandstands was much more my speed!
Hammer- oh god- they would hate that! Luckily, I have an annual girls weekend with my mom, gram, and three aunts...
kristin- flaws? what flaws? :) clearly, you read my blog!
Reya- too bad I didn't win enough to cover the mani/pedi!
Shannon- the funniest thing I saw was the port-a-pottie races (people climb on top and run along the tops.) Crazy!
Steve- I was wondering what was in those too...Bourbon and some sort of juice, I think!
Next time, skip the juice!
...and despite my suburban Maryland childhood (in LAUREL, no less, another racing town), those creatures frighten the ever-jittering hell outta me. Look into a horse's eyes. They KNOW they can rule the earth. They're just biding their time. They are not to be trusted.
.....of course, perhaps they SHOULD rule the earth. Nowhere to go but UP in that regard, after the humans... oh, don't get me started.
what was I saying?
Post a Comment
<< Home