Random Blog Infinite Connections: Go Ahead and Try...

Friday, May 09, 2008

Go Ahead and Try...



...to kick me when I'm down. It won't work.

A client fired me today. It's been an unpleasant and painful situation that has been unfolding over the past few weeks. My first response when I got the final call today was relief, because this really has been an issue taking up way too much of my time and energy.

Yes, it's bad enough that a client was unhappy with me to the point of no longer desiring my services, but unfortunately this goes a bit deeper than that. My demise was brought about through several conversations with several people about my performance. Conversations that took place without me. Accusations were made, and not only did I not get the feedback, I had no opportunity to respond to the feedback or even make corrections where they could have been made.

There's even a couple "kickers" to this fiasco. My client wants me to finish one last obligation which would require me to spend a half day working with and leading the people who ultimately asked for my removal. And my client suggested that I could organize a social activity for all the involved parties so it wouldn't seem like I was leaving on anything less than good terms.

I had the opportunity to practice something I'm working on: speaking my mind, and sticking up for myself. I told my client that I wasn't sure that I wanted to be the only person acting professionally in this matter, and that I wasn't sure that I wanted to be that much of a "bigger person". I also clearly expressed that the situation was poorly handled and I was getting short-changed in the process. My client agreed with me. That might not have made a difference in the scheme of things, but it was important that I communicated.

But I can't pretend it doesn't hurt. For some reason, when I experience betrayal as an adult, it triggers familiar feelings from my earliest experiences of betrayal as a child.

Damn, I'm pissed.

5 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

overall sounds as if you are handling things very admirably - you wrote that for a 'few weeks' things have been unfolding that foreshadowed this. you said the situation has been a drain on time and energy.... not the type of job one likes - at all!

okay, let me get this straight the client fired you and then wants you to finish up a project working with the people who called for your removal...and then asking if you could organize a party?

those are some kickers!!! someone has enormous cojones

get real mr. client....

I'm pissed just thinking about how badly you are being treated.

betrayal it's the worst... just the little I have gotten to know you I expect you are of the mind to reframe the pain - and focus and emphasize the relief that you feel and joy you will experience knowing that you won't have to deal with these (blankity-blank) folks any more....

hugs. sending you this song

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Excellent that you spoke your mind and shared how you feel. It is usually the best way to go in almost any situation. I'd be pissed too. Nothing worse than being talked about without an opportunity to defend yourself or correct the topic of criticism.

Wow, as I wrote the above I was starting to get a little pissed too so I can't imagine how you are feeling.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger lettuce said...

bloody nerve, thats what i think.

good for you in expressing how you felt - its hard to do sometimes, isn't it, but so necessary and satisfying

who wouldn't be pissed!
sounds as though they are taking the piss - and, indeed, are a bunch of pissers.

so there



(SUCH a good word)

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Barbara said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you because I get the sense that you are extremely concerned that people be happy with your work. I too was once that way. When people react another way, it's time for self-esteem to kick in and reaffirm that you've been doing the best job possible. I hope you can move on from this incident without too much baggage. Being pissed is totally acceptable! And yes, Lettuce, it is a good word.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

Wise words from everyone. I couldn't say it better myself. It seems particularly unjust that they didn't give you an opportunity to explain your side of things. Aaaargh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines