Another Blonde Moment

I had a business lunch today with a woman I met on my trip to Costa Rica. The last time we got together for drinks we talked about the fact that we should get together to discuss our businesses. So I sent her an invite last week and she accepted. Then she added that Roy, one of her employees, would be joining us.
That was fine but I was unsure of the reason for his presence. When we arrived at the restaurant, I was struck by how good-looking this man was. And he held eye contact with me for a few seconds too long. I thought that was odd.
It didn't take long to learn that the man hadn't been working at my friend's company for very long. (Hmmm...so again, why is he at this lunch?)
Oh god. Is my friend playing matchmaker? She knows I'm single as we danced at the Montezuma clubs together in CR.
Then, as the lunch conversation progressed, I noticed that there was some sort of easy connection between my two companions. She mentioned getting the chance to "test-drive" Roy's new corvette. They shared a salad.
OK...so maybe this boss-employee combo is a bit more than that. Good for her! Who am I to judge?
Then, my friend was discussing details of our vacation a little too easily. Our conversation turned to dating, and specifically, dating in DC. Again, my friend shared details that one wouldn't normally share in front of a boyfriend. And in passing she mentioned Roy's girlfriend who lives in Baltimore.
So I'm guessing some sort of secret sexual affair. How exciting!
The conversation turned to some everyday subjects- I asked her about her son, who is thirty and doing really well in his software engineering job.
Then I turned to Roy and asked if he had any kids.
"Just one."
"Boy or girl?"
"Boy"
"How old?"
"30"
Duh. Same kid! Turns out Roy is my friend's ex-husband. The two of them just sat there with big cheshire-cat grins on their faces, while I felt like an idiot!
Exes that are still friends and now working together? Now that is cool!

1 Comments:
hmmmmm.... a very unusual arrangement, I'm heard of good divorces, but this one might take the cake (that is if it is what is is, I can be a tad cynical....)
Post a Comment
<< Home