Random Blog Infinite Connections: Finding Your Joy

Monday, June 25, 2007

Finding Your Joy

I'm on my way to reconnecting with the things that brought me joy when I was younger. I went to a dance class yesterday. For the first time in over 15 years. Seriously.

I knew I was on the right track when I went to the dancewear store to buy a pair of jazz shoes. (I couldn't believe I couldn't find my old dance shoes! Did I really throw them away?) Anyway, walking in that store with all the dance paraphernalia was very fun and exciting for me. I also got a glimpse of what I would be like if I had a daughter. (It would be soooo hard for me not to be a "show biz" mom! I saw those little tutus and couldn't help but think of my imaginary ballerina daughter!)

Anyway, arriving at the dance studio felt a little like coming home. I went to the aptly named Joy of Motion. You can see inside the various dance studios when you arrive- there was a ballet class and a belly dancing class going on when I arrived.

Which class did I choose for my first foray back into the dancing world?

Hip Hop.

Hehe! I crack up thinking about it!

I actually took hip hop classes when I lived in Manhattan. (Yes- hip hop is that old.) But hip hop has changed quite a bit in fifteen years. It's rougher, more street-like. The type I remember was more "In Living Color fly-girl style"...

I was nervous and intimidated about doing the class. I was nervous about being clumsy. Being too old. Looking foolish. Not having the stamina to make it through the entire class.

But I ignored my fear and went for it anyway.

Yes, I was probably the oldest person in the room. But I didn't feel like it. The class instantly felt so familiar. And so fun. I was a little slower at picking up the choreography than I was in the past, but I could feel it coming together. I held my own amongst the other dancers. I even made it through the entire class (though I felt a little light headed the last 5 minutes or so.)

Now to be fair, this class was a beginner class. My memory of beginner classes was still pretty intense, but then I realized that I was recalling Broadway Dance Center in Manhattan. In their beginner classes, you are still surrounded by people that are very serious about dancing. They are actresses, singers, musical theater performers etc. Here, at this particular studio, it seemed there were more people that were in the class simply for the joy of it. Or because it's more fun than a step class. So it was easy to feel like I belonged. And to focus on the pure joy.

I've also looked up Broadway Dance Center's class schedule to see if I'd like to try one of their classes next time I'm in town. I was so surprised to see that my former jazz/hip hop teacher is still there! I think I'll pop into one of her classes.

So I have a couple questions for you-

What brought you joy when you are younger that you no longer do for some reason?

and

Does anyone know a good voice coach in the DC metro area?








4 Comments:

At 1:17 AM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I took voice lessons when I lived in San Francisco and loved it, even though I'm no singer, believe you me! But it really juiced up my confidence.

I've been thinking about taking a dance class. Hip hop? I don't think so ... but something. Very cool post.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

Coloring. I never really color any more (or paint or draw) and I don't know why. Of course, I never used to write...

I cannot sing to save my life. No recommendations on that front, but way to reconnect with things that bring you joy!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

My daughter took jazz at Joy of Motion and loved it. Dance is such a good way to be expressive. A few years ago I attempted a class in tap and realized my age. I would like to find something a little more appropriate!

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger who's-that said...

Love this post! Congratulations to you. So brave! And it sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Several years ago now I reconnected with singing by going to a voice coach. I used to sing in high school and it had been easily 15 years since I sang. So it was an awesome experience for me and now (though I don't take the lessons anymore) I sing with joy and freedom again.

I loved to dance in college and realized recently that yoga class has really replaced that for me. I enjoy it so much! But I'll keep thinking what I used to do that brought me joy and try to reconnect with something like you have done. All my love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines