The Soundtrack of Your Life
I went to a retro-dance party last week. They played songs from the '70's, '80's, and 90's. My friend and I decided to go because I was in the mood to dance. I hadn't danced in ages...There's a serious shortage of places to dance if you are over 35.Oh- how the memories came flooding back! It was fun to try to "name that year" with each song. Soooo many of the songs were directly connected to very specific memories for me.
Stayin' Alive...6th grade...I was so angry that I was the only one in my group of friends that wasn't allowed to see Saturday Night Fever because it was rated "R". We also choreographed a special dance routine to this song that we "spontaneously" performed at our school dance. (Yeah, we thought we were cool!)
Relax...Freshman year college...I'm embarrassed to say I owned a neon orange off the shoulder sweatshirt that said "Relax" in huge letters. The frat-guy DJ at one of our college bars, played the song for me in an effort to get my attention. It worked. His name was Lenny.
We've Got the Beat...Junior Year high school...some of my fellow cheerleaders and I used to crank this song as loud as we could, singing it as if we were the go-go's. This was done at someone's house because we knew it was "so not cool".
I Like Big Butts...I remember that I was living in Daytona Beach, Florida...Shortly after college...I was still very much living the college life, as my long term boyfriend was attending college there. I just remember going out a LOT, dancing a LOT, and getting into a LOT of trouble. Daytona Beach is not a very responsible place to live.
If someone had asked me to name some of the songs that would go on the "soundtrack of my life", I would never have picked any of the above songs. But hearing them just brought back such detailed memories.
So I'm wondering- if you had to pick some of the songs for your soundtrack, what would they be? And what do the songs represent for you?
Labels: memories, music, soundtrack

7 Comments:
What a fun list. I'm going to have to think about my own songs. I know "She's Losing It" applies to the past few years, preceded by "I Wanna Be Sedated."
That dance party sounds like it was a lot of fun.
Ohhh, soundtrack of my life? Hard one. But based on your list, Stayin' Alive and Relax could be on it. Because despite the crap we all go through, we stay alive. Relax, don't sweat the small stuff.
Haha... I'm apparently a bit younger than you are. Glad mine will be from the 90's and not the 80's... Lol!
Kristen- uh oh, I'm showing my age- I'm not familiar with "she's losing it"...but "I Wanna be Sedated" sounds like a great choice!!!
Lizzie- Amen to that!
Josh- yeah you're just "a bit" younger than I am :), BUT 80's music puts 90's music to shame! Much more colorful and FUN!!!!
The Circle "Red Rubber Ball"
Lovin' Spoonful "Summer in the City"
The Beatles "Hey Jude"
Blood Sweat & Tears "Spinning Wheel"
Every one of those songs is connected to someone who was very special to me. I can even smell the aftershave each of them wore. What a trip down memory lane...
My oh my, Barbara! Between this post and the one you left a few days ago on my post about "the secret", I'm seeing a side to you I've never seen in your blog :)
In chronological order:
* "Purple People Eater", Sheb Wooley (1958)- one of my first 45's (maybe 4% of the readers will have seen one of these). Also, my dad loved it too.
* "Blowin in the Wind", Bob Dylan (1963). The anthem of my college years and one of the great protest songs of all time.
* "Brown Eyed Girl", Van Morrison (1967). One of the great rock love songs.
* "Someday We'll be Together", Supremes, 1969. Fed a fantasy of mine at the time
* "Here Comes the Sun", George Harrison (1969). A nice antidote and still one of my favorite Beatles songs.
* "Gandhi/Buddha", Cheryl Wheeler (2003). A great folk love song. Check it out here
* My Life, Grace Griffith (2006). A song to my mother. Here it is
Post a Comment
<< Home