Random Blog Infinite Connections: Grateful.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Grateful.





One area of my life is going particularly well. And I have to stop, take a moment, and really relish in the success.




My business is gaining momentum.




I started a business less than a year ago, and I am now well on my way to achieving my goals. Here's the rub: it's taken very little effort on my part. At least it doesn't feel like I've put a lot of effort into it. I've been "meaning to" write a business plan, a vision. I started to put together a marketing plan. I haven't even had the opportunity to implement the plan yet.




I have spent a lot of time learning about small businesses. Learning how to network. I never thought I'd be very good at networking, but I'm pleased with how it's going.


I have five clients that I'm working with right now- and they have all been as a result of word of mouth referrals. Each project I've taken I've been nervous about- what if I don't get results? What if they don't think I'm worth the money? I have charged each new client slightly more than the one before. And my clients have been raving about my results. So much so that they give me names of others that could use my help. A contract that I just closed last week is my biggest one so far- and the project is moving into the area of expertise that I want my business to focus on.


This may sound like bragging to you. I guess it is, in a way. But in reality, I still always have moments when I think "any day now they will figure out that I have no idea what I'm doing". I am forcing myself to document this success because I have a tendency to take it for granted. If I was a man I would probably wear it like a badge of honor.


I wish I could figure out why I have good luck in this area (so I could apply the learning to other areas of my life). I often feel I don't deserve the success I have. I don't really work very hard. Many people think that I do, because when I work, I give 150%...but usually, I have days of down time where I work maybe part time hours, if at all. This has always been a reality for me. When I was younger, I was an "A" student, but could have been "A+" if I had the discipline and drive to prepare and study more. I was never at the top of my class- not because of lack of ability, but because of lack of effort.


I am grateful for my instincts, my people skills, my analytical abilities, my intelligence. Traits I was born with. Thank you Mom and Dad.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger mysterygirl! said...

It sounds like you do work hard-- it's just that you work efficiently and effectively and don't waste time. That sounds like the ideal way to get things done.

And don't sell yourself short for taking the risk of starting a small business to begin with-- that certainly takes initiative. Own your success! :)

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Yay, congratulations! It rocks to have something go SO right. I wish you continued luck in the future! Although it was more work than luck, I know!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

You sound more surprised and pleased than full of bravado. You also sound like you deserve the success. Congratulations.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You DESERVE it!! Bravo!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines