Random Blog Infinite Connections: Better Late than Never

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Better Late than Never




I just found out about Reya's poetry day last night. I had a particular poet that I wanted to post, so I figured a day late isn't too bad!!

I wanted to share a poem written by Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek, otherwise known to everyone as "Mattie". He wrote this poem in 2002 at the age of 12. Sadly, this great poet, peacemaker, and philosopher died just before his 14th birthday from a disease I can't spell or pronounce.

Choice Vows
In the beginning,
Love
Was created,
And it was good.
Yet, as it is
With all things,
Love is a choice.
In the now,
A bond
Is created,
And it is good.
Yet, as it is
With all things,
A bond
Is a choice.
In each tomorrow,
The future
Will be created,
And it can be good.
Yet, as it is
With all things,
The future
Is a choice
As the love of yesterday
Binds the present into a touch
Towards every tomorrow,
Do not vow
To renew your choices
On your first, your fifth,
Or your fiftieth anniversary.
Rather,
From this moment,
Go forth vowing.
Go forth
Vowing to choose gently,
Celebrating life each day.
Go forth
Vowing to choose wisely.
Playing after every storm.
Go forth
Vowing to choose fervently
Never giving up hope
In things that matter.
Then, as it was in the beginning,
And, as it is now,
Yet, it will be in the future...
Blessed with choices, and good.

I find it interesting that this young boy had a more mature view of love, commitment, and choices then some adults I know.

2 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

This is beautiful and so moving to realize it came from such a sick little boy. Illness creates an alchemy that brings incredible gifts to people in spite of all its discomforts. I see it in clients all the time - a knowledge of the preciousness of life, an awareness that doesn't exist in the perfectly healthy. Sick people don't take anything for granted. Amazing.

Thank you!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Pod said...

wow....that is incredibly insightful. i am a little stunned...thanks for that ;0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines