Random Blog Infinite Connections: Off the Grid

Monday, July 20, 2009

Off the Grid


I've just returned from the most amazing vacation of my life. An 18 day trip that included a 12 day Mediterranean cruise. (Pics and info coming soon...)

Since I have my own business, it's not exactly the best idea to stay completely out of touch for such a long period of time. But I prepared for it: I did six months' worth of work in the month before I left...I prepped my clients...I set up support systems...

I was determined to completely disconnect from the "real world" during my trip. I wanted to know what it was like to completely enjoy luxury and be 100% stress free for a few weeks.

I changed my facebook status to let everyone know I would NOT be on email or facebook. I informed clients they could reach me via text or voice mail if it was truly critical (I had faith that it wouldn't be). I set my auto-response on all my email accounts so people would not expect an immediate response.

I knew that cutting myself off would be the only true way to decompress and completely relax.

I brought my blackberry with me, but turned off all data/email service.

And it worked. Mostly.

I stayed completely out of touch for a week and a half. I'd say it took about 4 or 5 days to truly, completely settle into full fledged "vacation mode". And that lasted for a few days. It was a glorious feeling.

Ten days into my trip, as I lay on a chaise lounge on the sun deck of the Ruby Princess, random thoughts would enter my mind. Curiosities. Pieces of unfinished business. I reached into my bag, pulled out my blackberry, and set my data service to "on".

The messages poured in. Over a thousand. I scanned them, looking at the ones that made me curious, deleting the worthless ones, responding to a couple. Scheduled an appointment with a new client, answered a time sensitive question about an upcoming trip, solved a problem that I thought I had already solved before I left.

Took about two hours to scan through and sort through all those messages.

I turned my data services back off. I was convinced I would go the rest of the trip disconnected. I simply had to.

A few days later, the vulnerability in my plans was revealed.

I received a voice mail.

The message was from a woman who used her first name only- I know many people with that same name. She spoke as if we knew each other well...And she said that she was calling about hiring me for a project for her company, and she wanted me to call her back asap. She also said she'd be "shooting me an email" with all the details.

Shit! I can't just blow off new business...especially after this trip.

Apparently, in all my preparation, I did not change my outgoing message on my cell phone. So the woman calling would have no idea that it would be several days before I responded.

Which meant...

I had to respond right away. I didn't want to call her, because it sounded like I was supposed to know who she was and I didn't want to be unprepared.

I had to turn the data services back on...More messages poured in...hundreds. Including hers.

I solved the mystery, responded to the potential client, and yes, it was perfectly OK to call her when I got back in the country.

But it was too late. The work brain was turned back on. I fought it with every fiber in my being for the last week of my trip. I was mostly successful, but I had lost that pure inner calm that I had during days 5-10 of my trip.

Damn that sense of responsibility. And damn technology.

5 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Anonymous restaurant refugee said...

The world was, in so many ways, much more civilized 20 years ago before the advent of constant connectivitiy.

Glad you had a good time.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Barbara said...

You either have to leave it at home or accept the fact that your trip will not be all pleasure. Sometimes I long for the days when I didn't do e-mail. Life was so much simpler back then...

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kristin said...

It's so hard to truly unplug! I'm sorry the vacation mentality gave way to the "real" world earlier than expected. The break sounds great.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for trying! Now that you see the fruits of unplugging, you'll have more incentive to do it next time you take a vacation. Bravo to you!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Ulysses said...

And when you say the pics are coming "soon", you mean that in the same way I do when I say, "I'm going to get that next post up soon".
Sounds like you enjoy what you do, that it's part of who you are. A part that you like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Directory of Personal Blogs Web Site Counter
Free Counter Subscribe with Bloglines